Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Quick Rant

I don't want this to become a regular thing on this blog, but I have to rant a little bit about something that's been bothering me lately. The boy has been in a funk for the past couple of months in which he rarely wants to eat his vegetables or fruits. He will, if they are contained within soup, but we can't eat soup all the time. Neither my wife nor I have ever been a huge believer in taking supplements, but we want to ensure that the boy is getting all the nutrients that a 2-year-old needs, so we recently began looking at our options for children's vitamins.What a bunch of hooey! Every brand at every store we've looked at has had the same first two ingredients: Glucose syrup and sucrose. Or, in layman's terms, sugar, and then more sugar. Shouldn't the goal, when raising kids, be to encourage them to eat a well-rounded and balanced diet, including vegetables? So how can we expect them to ever learn to like their veggies when the alternative tastes sweet and sugary? I think vitamins should taste bland, or even bad, so that kids will choose to eat the better alternative: real live fruits and veggies. Seriously, I don't think there's much in this world that tastes better than some roasted asparagus or brussel sprouts, sprinkled with olive oil and a dash of salt and pepper. But what child would ever choose that option over a bright red candy vitamin? I know this viewpoint probably seems foreign to a lot of people, but that's how I feel about it. Thank you for listening to my rant. I promise I won't have another for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment