Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Shots for the baby

We took the baby in for her two-month checkup today at the Doctor's office. It went swimmingly. It was confirmed that she is quite large, in the 90th percentile in weight, yet her head is relatively small, just like her brother and sister. When we only had the one child, we took her to one of her early Dr. appointments, and the Doctor asked if her mom or I had a "peanut head" when we were a child. If the sudden thought of peanuts hadn't made me so hungry, I might have been offended by that comment. The truth is, I couldn't remember if I had a small head as a baby, but one of us must have, since it has been a consistent thing amongst our kids.

Another thing that I was reminded of from our first child's early Dr. appointments was the time when she got her first shots. My wife and I were kind of on the fence about whether or not to get her any shots, since there seemed to be some murmuring amongst Hollywood types and other people in the media that shots were causing the rise in autism throughout the country. We couldn't find any proof of that any where, but still, this was our first child, and since it had taken a while to conceive her, maybe our only child. Did we want to put her at risk for a terrible disease? We mulled it over for a long time, but finally decided to go with the shots. All the worry and speculation raised the anxiety level in both my wife and I, though, so when it was finally time for her to get the shots, we were just about at the brink of a breakdown. Then the Dr. put the first needle in to our poor little baby's leg, and the freeflow of wailing and gnashing of teeth could be heard throughout the clinic, and possibly throughout several city blocks, as well. Then the baby started to cry, too, which made it even worse! Well, we all got through that day, pretty easily, when we look back at it. Baby settled down quickly, and then slept most of the day, which made it easier for mommy and daddy to compose ourselves as well.

Since that first run-in with shots, we haven't hesitated to have all of our kids get their shots. Which brings me back to today, the first time our newest baby got her shots. I was busy reading to our 2-year-old in the extra chair, so I didn't even realize that the Dr. had taken the needles out and gotten them ready. All of a sudden the baby started crying, my wife picked her up and started to feed her, and that was that. She settled down within a few seconds. No wailing, no gnashing of teeth, and no nervous breakdowns for any of us. And now the baby is sleeping it off. Maybe we should get her shots more often...

1 comment:

  1. Awwww, you have me on your blog list? How special do I feel? I didn't even know you knew I had a blog... :)

    Glad to hear the appt for baby J went well; it's good to know it gets easier after the first one!

    ReplyDelete