Monday, May 28, 2012

Swimming Pool Soup

I hope you've been having a wonderful Memorial Day weekend. We have gotten to spend a bunch of time with friends and family, and we've been able to reminice about loved ones who aren't with us any more. This is one of my favorite weekends of the year.

Today we are spending the day with my bride's family, relaxing inside for the most part, and getting ready to stuff our faces with some delicious grilled meat products in a few minutes. Yesterday, we also enjoyed a fine array of grilled meat products, but we were up at my sister's house about a half hour north of here. Along with the meat products, our menu was filled with yummy chicken salad, various fruits, and baked beans. Some of the heartier folks enjoyed deviled eggs, but those aren't one of my favorites. You'd think they would be, since I am well known amongst my friends as being something of an egg connosieur: I usually eat three medium fried eggs at least 5 or 6 days of the week. I've never been able to fully wrap my lips around deviled eggs, though, but that's OK. "To each his own," as I believe Ben Franklin once said.

You may have noticed that there weren't too many veggies on the menu, but that didn't keep all of us from getting our quota of greens. My sister's massive backyard was a perfect spot for all of the toddlers, which there were approximately a billion present, to run and play and have a fun time in the great outdoors. There also was a small kiddie pool in one corner of the yard, which the kids would dip their feet in as the mood hit, with the intention of cooling off a bit. The pool also acted as a sort of wash tub, rinsing all the dirt, sand, and grass clippings off of everybody's feet, so they could then run around, collect more of the same, and then wash them off the next time they dipped their feet. This went on most of the afternoon, until the pool water was quite green in color, looking more like grass soup than clean pool water. It was totally unappetizing to all of the adults who were there, but apparently adults don't think the same as a 2-year-old. My son, we'll call him Bubba, could not get enough of the grass soup, sneaking sips throughout the afternoon, whenever he thought there wasn't somebody watching. We all got after him every time, and even tried to tempt him away from the pool with a large sippy cup of ice cool drinking water, but he went back time after time. My wife and I feigned disgust, but in all reality, we were a little bit happy that he was getting some greens in his diet. Have you ever tried to get a 2-year-old to eat his veggies?

No comments:

Post a Comment