Monday, June 18, 2012

Picky, Picky, Picky

In my lifetime I have been around a lot of picky eaters. I feel like it's okay for me to write about what could be a touchy subject for some people, because at one point in my life, I was the King of the Picky Eaters. There were several years during my youth in which I didn't really eat much of anything, except for french fries and hot dog buns. Yes, you read that right. Just the buns. I think I would occasionally eat the entire hot dog, including the meat, but not very often. I wouldn't go near it if it had ketchup or mustard on it! That was totally taboo. Needless to say, I was a weird kid.

I don't know if it was just the act of maturing or what, but now I would say that I am one of the least picky eaters I know. Sure, I still have a couple of things that I don't eat, but for the most part I'm open to trying anything. I have a theory that all the food in the world has to be enjoyed by somebody, or else it would cease to be eaten. So, if some people like it, its flavor must be at least somewhat enjoyable. So, now I'm usually OK trying new things. I'm not a huge fan of food that still has its eyeballs, but, c'mon, who really is?

Now that we have kids, both my wife and I are trying to make sure that they have well-rounded taste buds, and the willingness to be open to try new things. No matter how hard we work at it, though, kids will be kids, and strange likes and dislikes are bound to pop up. Take the Girl, for example. She just turned 3 a couple months ago, and for the most part, is not nearly as picky as a lot of other kids her age. But she does have a couple of quirks that boggle my mind. For example, she absolutely loves hummus, which, to me, seems to have more of an adult taste. I like it, but it doesn't seem like something a young child would like. But the Girl puts it on crackers (normal), veggies such as raw carrots (normal), and even fish sticks (weird!). But, get this: she does not like butter! I can not even fathom how anyone, no matter how old they are, could not like butter! I think that butter is as close to the essence of life as you can get on our mortal world. I guess I could understand if she was like me, and preferred hard, refrigerated butter (God's greatest culinary gift to bread) over soft, runny butter (good, but not great), but she doesn't like butter at all! It completely boggles my mind.

Hopefully this is just a phase she's going through, because I love butter, and would hate to see to see it come between the two of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment