Sunday, July 8, 2012

29 for the 9th time. Or is it the 10th time? I'm not good with math...

Yes, today is my 38th birthday. I am no longer younger than my wife. I'll have to wait another 340 days before I can say that again, which I will for sure do, because I love to tease her over the fact that she's 25 days older than I am. I can tell that she loves it when I do it, too, although the gritting noise that her teeth make during those 25 days can get a little bothersome. Several times it's almost woken me up in the middle of the night.

Did I mention that today is my birthday? I had a wonderful day, and got to do three of my favorite things to do: I got to play golf, which I love, even though I had more three-putts in one round than I've had in the last 3 years; I got to go fishing, even though it was just for a couple of hours and 90% of the sunfish I caught were in the sub-three-inch-long range; and I got to eat a lot of eggs, even though two of the four eggs that I boiled this morning for breakfast partially blew open in the pan, and the other two didn't peel very well so I really only got to eat about 2.75 eggs at that sitting. Overall, though, I may eat too many eggs, so it was probably for the best.

I was super excited to play golf, since it was the first time I've played all year. I should have known it wasn't going to be my best round, though, when my tee shot on the first hole started out nicely, but then faded ever so slightly to the right, and landed smack dab in the middle of the thickest jungle of itchweed and burning nettles that I've ever seen. OK, maybe it was actually ferns and hostas, but those don't seem as foreboding. Whatever the case, we couldn't find my ball, which turned out to be the first in a long line of lost balls for me on the day. But the three-putts are what really hurt. They'll turn a par into a double-bogey in a flash, and I was seeing flashes all day.

Overall, even despite my golf score, it was a good birthday. And guess what - tomorrow I get to celebrate being 38 years + 1 day by eating more eggs! I can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. Golf balls in the woods are kind of like the "Take-a-Penny, Leave-a-Penny" tray at the checkout counter. When I play, I usually don't end up with the same ones I went with.

    ReplyDelete