Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Dogs 'n' Diapers

I wish our dogs could read, because I am about to write such a scathing story about them that it might actually make them embarrassed enough to change their ways. If they could read, that is. Yep, if only they could read...

We have two dogs, both of which are annoying in their own ways. Ah, but they share one big annoyance that, I'm not going to lie to you here, some times makes me wish we had cats. Or ferrets. Hey, I'd even settle for pet porcupines. Yes, even the constant pain I would be in after petting my porcupines would be more bearable than what our dogs make us put up with.

Our two dogs, let's call them Toby and Gromit, because that's what their names are, share a nasty habit. It all started when we brought Gromit into our home, several years ago now. Gromit was a full-grown Lhasa Apso when we agreed to take him in, and Toby was a two-year-old Yorkie-Poo that we had gotten as a puppy. The two of them got along okay for the most part, with the occasional all-out brouhaha thrown in for fun. I don't know if it was because Gromit hadn't been fixed yet or what, but it was quickly apparent that he was prone to lift his leg around the house, I assume as a way to claim the place as his own. We wanted none of that, so it didn't take long to decide to get his stuff snipped off, if I can be crude for a minute. We assumed that would fix the marking problem, but that was not the case, and in fact, we soon found evidence that Toby was doing the same thing!

Now, it didn't happen all that often, but the few times it did was enough for us. We wanted to put a stop to it before it became a major problem. The most effective course of action probably would have been to drive the dogs out to a nice spot along a country road and casually boot them out of the car. Hey, I would have slowed down to at least 30 mph first, so back off! But, no, we had already grown fond of these mutts for some reason, so instead we went out and bought them both a doggie diaper to wear when we aren't home. These are pretty much just thick, padded fabric thingies that strap around the dog's torso, enveloping their tiddly bits so the pee can't get out. The diapers make the dogs look very silly, but they're dogs, so they don't really care. Now, instead of washing the carpets or the furniture or whatever else they may have peed on, we just have to wash their diapers. Of course, that's not all that much fun, either. You know, now that I think of it, maybe that country road wouldn't be such a bad idea...

This looks a lot like our dog, Gromit, but you can tell it isn't by the fact that he's not wearing a diaper. This dog is obviously a good dog, unlike ours.

1 comment:

  1. I have friends who use regular baby diapers on their dogs. Not sure if it would be cheaper, faster or easier than the doggie diapers, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

    ReplyDelete