Monday, July 23, 2012

Swaddle, Swaddle, Swaddle

The Wife and I were having a terrible time getting our 4-month-old daughter, the Baby, to take good naps during the day. She was an excellent sleeper at night, but that wasn't translating to daytime sleeping. And, now that I think about it, she isn't an excellent night-time sleeper, but she is an excellent night-time "going to sleep"er. She can fall asleep at night at the drop of a hat, even if we put her in bed while she's wide awake. She used to sleep through the night, which made her possibly the best baby ever, but lately she's been waking up once per night for a quick snack, usually around 3 or 4 AM. Since the Wife is the one of us that has the physical capabilities to feed the Baby, I usually sleep right through these night-time feeding sessions. I do show my husbandly compassion in the morning by asking my bride if she had to get up at all, which I can tell does a lot to ease any tensions that have built up while I was getting my ZZZs. I do what I can!

In an earlier blog I had asked you all for any ideas we could try to get her to nap better, but I seem to have stumbled upon the remedy just by happenstance. See, we had been trying to get her to nap just by holding her tightly in our arms or rocking her in her bouncy chair or swing. While she would go to sleep using these methods, she would only stay asleep for 10-20 minutes, not nearly long enough for a rapidly growing baby. Then she would be ornery the rest of the afternoon, and consequently, so would the rest of us. Last week when I was home with the kids one morning, I thought "Hey, moron, why don't you put her in her swaddler like you do at night?!?!" So, I swaddled her, and she napped for about an hour and a half! The normal palpable tension in our house was replaced with palpable happiness, and we've all been happy ever since! We owe a huge thank you to the inventor of the swaddler, I think his name was Bob Swaddle, for making our lives bearable once again. Thanks Bob!
The Baby in her swaddler, sleeping soundly, taken with Daddy's phone camera. On an unrelated note, if anyone knows where I put my digital camera, please let me know.



No comments:

Post a Comment