Thursday, July 5, 2012

Welcome to Eerie, Minnesota

I had a very eerie experience yesterday. It was the first day that my whole family was gone, and I was alone in the house with just the two dogs. My Wife and her sister, whom we will call Aunt Sonstress for the purposes of this blog, had loaded up our three children, the Girl, the Boy, and the Baby, into our minivan and made the excruciatingly long trek down to Oklahoma to visit other aunts, uncles and cousins. Normally the drive isn't all that bad, but just try doing it with two toddlers and a three-month-old in the vehicle, and you will soon learn just how excruciating it can be. Any ways, back to me.

As I said, I was home alone, and had pretty much instantaneously reverted back to my bachelor days as soon as my family left. I became reclusive, not wanting to venture outside for more than a few minutes at a time. I told myself that it was too hot to go outside and that I had plenty of things to do inside, which was true, even though I didn't end up getting all that much accomplished. I did get some laundry done, and I did get a bunch of flies tied for an upcoming night of fishing that I have promised myself, but those jobs took way longer than they should have, because I was too busy watching episode after episode of the TV series Arrested Development on netflix.

What was eerie about the whole situation was that at separate times throughout the day, I heard each of my three kids' voices loud and clear, coming from somewhere in the house. But, remember, nobody else was home...

When I was downstairs doing the laundry, I swear I heard the Boy from upstairs, saying, "No Daddy!" like he does when I throw him up in the air and start tickling him. Later on, I heard the Girl, laughing like a hyena in her bedroom, while I was out in the living room. When I was sitting at the dining room table, tying flies, I could have sworn that the Baby was crying in her crib, like she does when she wants her bottle. Part of me thinks that I may have heard her phantom cries again during the night, when, if she was actually home, I would have mindlessly gotten up, stumbled my way into her bedroom, and stuck her nookie back in her mouth before stumbling my way back to bed, without ever really waking up. Maybe I did that last night, too? The only way to know for sure would be for my wife to tell me about it the next morning, like she does on most days. But, alas, only the dogs were home, and they were too busy snoring like freight trains to notice, so I guess we'll never know.

I think it might be good for me to go outside and get some fresh air tonight.

2 comments: