Thursday, September 13, 2012

There's a New Scooter in Town

My name is Scott. Scott is a good name. I have always been happy with my name. There's one thing about my name - it can't really be shortened to make a nickname. Getting rid of one of the "t"s wouldn't make a difference, and shortening it to "Sco" would just be weird. Who would want to be called "Sco"? Not me. So, if people have ever wanted to give me a nickname - and at certain stages of my life it has seemed like everyone has wanted to give me a nickname - they usually take Scott and then lengthen it. I've been called "Scotty", "Scottish", "Scotland", "Scott-Man", and so on and so on. My most widely used nickname over the years, though, has probably been "Scooter", or some derivative of it. "Scooterlicious", "Scooter-de-dooter", and even "Scooter Pot Pie" have been popular monikers for me amongst my friends. I guess I have to say I kind of liked them too.

I am in a stage of life in which not many people call me by nicknames any more, unless "daddy" counts as a nickname. Or "Studly Man", but that's for another blog post. Only a couple of people call me Scooter, and that's with great irregularity. I think it's about time for me to pass the "Scooter" nickname on to someone who can get much more use out of it - the Baby. She has begun to scoot herself all over the place lately. All we have to do is lay her on her back anywhere on the floor, and she quickly rolls over to her tummy, straightens out her arms to prop herself up, and off she goes, scooting herself backward with her arms. In just a few seconds, she'll be off to some other part of the room. The thing is, she can't see where she's going, so she usually ends up somewhere she doesn't really want to be, like up against a wall, or under the sofa, or in Wisconsin.
Time-lapse photography of the Baby flipping herself over and then scooting under the sofa. That was when the fun ended.

I'm not really sure how long the "Scooter" nickname will work for her, though. She's already starting to get up on her knees, which is one of the first signs that a baby is ready to start crawling. It seems way too early to her mom and me, since she's not even 6 months old yet, but who are we to question a baby? When the crawling inevitably happens, I'll take back the "Scooter" nickname for myself, and she can go by something more clever. "Crawler" sounds a little creepy for a baby, like maybe she enjoys playing with worms or something. We'll have to come up with something better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment