Tuesday, September 11, 2012

This School is a Blubber-Free Zone

Today was the day our family has been talking about for over a year. It finally happened: the Girl went off to preschool for the first time. She has been anxious for this day ever since she found out my sister's daughter, the Cousin, got to go to preschool last fall. There was more than a little jealousy involved on the Girl's part, but when she found out that she would be able to go this year, the jealousy subsided (somewhat), and excitement took over. We have been talking about all sorts of school-related topics throughout the year: the fun things she would get to do at preschool; the new friends she would make at preschool; the interesting stuff she would learn at preschool; her new princess-themed backpack she got from her grandma to take to preschool; and on and on. Actually, what we talked about the most wasn't something you would normally think about when you hear a child is going off to preschool for the first time, but it's a big indicator of whether they are truly ready for it or not. We talked a lot about the fact that the Girl would have to wipe her own bottom if she ever went #2 while at school. This may seem like an odd thing to talk about, but we talked about it endlessly. And now, if she ever does have to go, we're pretty sure she'll be able to handle it. I know you were worried!

The biggest surprise of the morning had to have been the fact that I did not blubber like a baby when we dropped her off at school. As soon as our first child was born it was obvious which one of us was the emotional parent. Las Vegas oddsmakers would have listed me as a cold-blooded cinch to at least shed a few tears this morning, but my eyes remained dry the entire time we were at the school. OK, I might have misted up a little at home, but only because I was dumb enough to pick up the Girl, look right into her big blue eyes, and say "I can't believe you're going to school already. It seems like just yesterday that we were bringing you *sniff* home from the *whimper* hospital."

Thankfully I regained control of myself, and that was as close to blubbering as I got. I probably would have gotten more emotional if she had paid us any attention when we were leaving her classroom. Instead, she was already having fun playing with all the other kids. I don't think she even knew we had left. I guess my little girl really is growing up.





No comments:

Post a Comment