Sunday, October 28, 2012

Emotional Baggage

Don't get me wrong. The Boy is about as fun and loving as a 2-year-old boy can be. Just yesterday, we were out to dinner with the in-laws, and he got to sit next to his 98-year-old great grandma. Without any provocation, he leaned over, gave her a big hug, and then proceeded to kiss her several times. He just loves people, and is quick to give hugs on a regular basis. He's quite the boy!

But lately, he's also been going through some kind of emotional phase. It doesn't happen very often, but every once in a while he'll just start crying, for seemingly no reason.

When we ask him why he's crying, we enter into one of the sillier conversations we've had as parents, and we have had a lot of silly conversations with our kids. It always goes something like:

The Boy: (Crying and/or whining for no apparent reason).

Daddy: Hey Bubs, what's wrong?

TB: I'm crying, Daddy!

D: Yes, I see that. Why are you crying?

TB: I'm sad.

D: Why are you sad?

TB: I'm sad, Daddy.

D: Yes, but why are you sad?

TB: I'm sad.

D: Yes, I know that. But why are you sad?

TB: I'm crying, Daddy.

D: Yes, but why are you crying?

TB: I don't know, Daddy.

At this point, I either pull out some of my hair or turn up the radio loud enough that I can't hear him crying any more. Soon maybe I will learn to stop asking him why he's crying in the first place. That seems like the best option I can come up with right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment