Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Adventures at My Friendly, Neighborhood Mega-Mart

We love to shop at our local members-only mega-mart. Since I am not getting paid to advertise for them, I won't mention any names, but it happens to rhyme with Pam's Pub. If you are a really good detective, you may be able to figure it out.

We shop there a lot, because we can get really good deals on huge quantities of food, and when you have three children and two dogs living with you, you need huge quantities of food, both the human and canine varieties.

Usually I, and whichever of the kids I happen to be toting around that day, just go in, get what we need, look around just a little to make sure we didn't forget anything, and then leave. We can be in and out in 15 minutes or less. Today, the Wife asked me to look for a type of food that I have never seen at this store, freeze-dried strawberries, so I was forced to do some snooping.


The kids love freeze-dried strawberries. Unfortunately they cost about $96 per pound. These kids are going to send us to the poorhouse. Photo courtesy of freezedriedfruit.com
Did you know that the store that rhymes with Pam's Pub has pretty much everything you could ever imagine? At least as far as food is concerned. And it all looks delicious! It was all I could do to not spend hundreds of dollars on all the new food that I was discovering.

I found ready-to-bake chicken enchiladas, yummy looking cheese and meat trays with an endless variety of cheeses (cheese and meat trays are going to be my downfall some day), huge trays of imitation crab meat (which I love), a whole row of microwavable gourmet soups just waiting to be nuked and devoured, and fresh pastas filled with everything from lobster to squash goo. And that was all before I even got out of the refrigerated section.

They have two different kinds of sweet potato chips! I love sweet potatoes, but somehow I was able to pass on those. Actually I had a bag of one of them in my cart for a while, but decided to put it back.

Aisle after aisle of delicious looking foods, most of which I was able to keep from buying. I did get a few things that weren't originally on my list, but I am only human, after all.

So, I found a billion things that tempted me, but, if you can believe this, I did not find any freeze-dried strawberries. I guess it's something that they just haven't thought of stocking at Pam's Pub. Oh well. I just went to Parget and got them there.

No comments:

Post a Comment