Friday, November 2, 2012

The Worst Weekend of the Year

I used to LOVE Daylight Saving Time. Up until I was 34, I spent every long and dreary winter looking forward to the Saturday night in late March when I could set my clock forward, which meant the days would instantly get longer, and life was filled with excitement. I could stay out later, doing whatever it was I was doing -fishing, hiking, golfing. Daylight Saving Time was the best time of the year!

Now, I have kids. Daylight Saving Time does not mean all of the fun things that it used to mean. Now, every March, it just means that our three kids will get one less hour of sleep on that Saturday night, be grumpy all day that Sunday, and won't be able to get back on schedule for at least a week or more. Sure, once they do, the longer days are nice and all, but I don't think it's worth the frustration.

And don't get me started on the return to Central Standard Time in early November, which just happens to be tomorrow for anyone who doesn't own a calendar. That's even worse! Sure, the idea of getting an extra hour of sleep is nice, but have you ever tried to explain to a 3-year-old, a 2-year-old, and a 7-month-old that they should try to "sleep in"? That doesn't work! The entire concept is completely lost on them.

So, instead of Mommy & Daddy actually getting an extra hour of sleep, we really are getting an extra hour of time that we have to spend with our kids! Doesn't the government realize that we want to spend less time with our kids?!?! Mommy's and Daddy's entire days revolve around the hope we get knowing that our kids will soon be asleep and we can get some stuff done. Now, on this coming Sunday, we'll have to keep the rascals occupied for another whole hour! This is going to be the worst weekend ever.

2 comments:

  1. Feeling (or should I say "fearing") the exact same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been amazed that my children somehow magically adjusted to the time change in whichever direction meant less sleep for me! How do they do it?!

    This is no longer a problem as our children (age 6 & 9) now like to sleep in! So in just six years, you too will get to sleep in!

    ReplyDelete