Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Cheap, No Good Pens

I don't think they make ball point pens like they used to. When I was growing up, I remember ball point pens as being super strong. We could use them to pound in nails or prop up the hood of our car. That's what my juvenile delinquent friends and I did with them, any way. Maybe some of you just used ball point pens for boring things like writing letters and stuff. Not me. No, when I was a kid I was more of a rebel, and I made my ball point pens work.

Yup, ball point pens used to be made to stand up to the rigors of everyday life. They could take a lickin' and keep on tickin', so to speak. I had a Bic once that helped me out of many of life's travails. If I was lost out in the woods of western Wisconsin, I could get out of the elements by using my trusty Bic to stake up whatever lean-to I had fashioned; I could take the innards out of it and use it as a blowgun to catch me some supper; and then I could even use my trusty Bic as a skewer to roast whatever wild game I had happened to shoot. OK, nothing like that ever actually happened, but if it had, I would have trusted my Bic pen completely. Yup, that was a good pen.
Yup, they sure don't make pens like they used to...
They sure don't make them like that any more. Nowadays, ball point pens are cheap. They run out of ink too fast. The mechanism doesn't click back up when you want it to. They're made out of inexpensive, brittle plastic. I'll tell you how brittle they can be. There have been countless times that one of these cheap, new-fangled ball point pens has cracked right in half in my back pocket, just from my sitting down on a chair. That's not right. And the only reason I can think of that happening is that they don't make pens like they used to.The Wife has some other crazy theory about why those pens broke, but, like I said, it's crazy, so I won't spend any more time on that.

Well, my little rant about pens is over. I think I'll go and try to figure out why they've been making blue jeans tighter and tighter. I'm sure there's gotta be a good reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment