Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Is the Boy the Next Phil Mickelson?

Even though the Boy is only 2-and-a-half years old, it has become very apparent to us that he is in fact left handed. This fact brings me nothing but joy. Left handers have a built-in upper hand when it comes to sports, so I am envisioning the Boy being one of the star players on whatever sports team he chooses to play on. I have often heard that if you're a left hander with a pulse, you can make it in the Big Leagues, so I think it's safe to assume he will be pitching at Target Field in about 20 years. Better buy your season tickets now.

Although I am primarily right handed, I can do some things left handed as well. One of the things I can do left handed is throw a baseball, which meant that, while I was growing up, I often had dreams of becoming baseball's first switch-pitcher. I figured I could develop a glove that fit on either hand, so no matter which side of the plate the batter stood on, I would have the upper hand. The fact that my left handed fastball usually only travels about 55 feet, and the distance from the pitcher's mound to home plate is 60 feet 6 inches, was the deciding factor in my not making it to the Big Leagues. Oh well.

I have already started to look for a tiny baseball glove for my left-handed tot. Right now, he puts the Girl's pink Dora the Explorer-themed glove on his left hand, and then tries to throw the ball straight from his glove. This does not work too well, so we're gonna have to get him a glove that goes on the correct hand. And soon. I don't want to jeopardize his future career.

In other sports news, the kids have a cheap set of plastic golf clubs that we got when the Girl was just an infant. These are so cheap that the plastic grips and plastic clubheads regularly fly off of the plastic shafts, and Daddy has to slide them back together. Thankfully the plastic clubheads only fly off and hit Daddy square in the head about half the time. Otherwise Daddy might leave them in pieces.
Is that the Boy, or some other awesome left handed golfer? Photo courtesy of www.callawaygolf.com.
The Boy is really starting to love these golf clubs. But, being left handed, they aren't built the right way for him. That hasn't deterred him though. He spins the club in his hand and hits the ball with the toe of the blade, like you might if your ball is up against a tree or some other immovable object. He did this all on his own, which tells me he might be smarter than what is usually evidenced by his peanut-sized brain.

I am already starting to look for the components so I can make both the Boy and the Girl their own real golf clubs for this summer. I can't wait to go out in the backyard and let them hack away at some practice golf balls. I guess winning the Masters would be a good alternative to pitching in the Big Leagues. Or maybe he'll surprise us all and do both. Sounds like a plan to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment