Friday, February 15, 2013

The Wife Has Been Through a Lot

I haven't really been on the internet at all over the past two days. This was not by my choice. First, the hard drive on our laptop became toast. This happened while I was in a Finance Committee meeting at church on Wednesday night. I got a fretful text from the Wife informing me that it wasn't working. At the time, I thought "Eh, I'm sure it will be fine. We can just take the laptop battery out, put it back in, and Poof! it will be working again." This premonition did not come true, which is exactly why I am not employed as an I.T. guy.

After our friend, Mike the computer genius, looked at it, he informed us that the hard drive looked bad. He wasn't able to fix it, which boggled my mind, because Mike the computer genius has always been able to fix all of our computer problems. He even took the hard drive in to a paid computer professional, who also was unable to fix it. It was confirmed: our hard drive was toast.

This was bad news, especially for me. Most of the files that were on the hard drive were mine. And, as I am prone to do, I hadn't backed it up in over a year. I would very much like to blame someone else for this. If you are willing to take the blame, please contact me as soon as possible. Thank you.

What really makes me upset is that I had just emptied all the photos off my SD card, onto the hard drive, a few weeks ago. So, a bunch of pics of our kids are now gone forever. It kind of makes me sick just to think about it. Thankfully, the Wife, who is much more forward-thinking than I am, had uploaded a majority of our kid pics to snapfish.com, so those can be salvaged.

I got to the office yesterday, thinking I could spend some time online getting caught up on things in the afternoon, but shortly after lunch, the power went out in the area, and stayed out until after 5, so I got to spend a total of about 3 minutes in front of a working computer yesterday. This did not satisfy my craving.

This is an artist's portrayal of the Wife yesterday. The artist has captured her perfectly.
Today, the power is back on here at work, and Mike the computer genius is installing a new hard drive in our laptop, so we won't have too many more withdrawal symptoms. I felt the worst for the Wife, and you should too, because without my blogging and facebook outlets, I just spewed all of my thoughts to the Wife over the past couple of days. She definitely needs a break. I think I may make her more frazzled than our three chaotic kids do, and that's saying something. The poor woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment