Monday, May 6, 2013

The Greatest Song of the 1980s, So Says Me

I know a little about the 1980s; in fact, I'm kind of an expert. I came about my expertise honestly - by living through every single day of the decade. Yup, when it comes to the 1980s, I can pretty much remember every important detail like it was yesterday. OK, maybe not yesterday, but less time than, how long has it been since the 80s ended? 24 years? Holy cow, that's a long time ago! I am getting old! At least my memory is still good. What were we talking about again?

Oh yeah, the 1980s. Yup, there was a lot of great music back in the 80s. And a lot of mediocre music. I think it is safe to say that I have heard pretty much every song ever recorded in the 1980s, and I am about to reveal the greatest song from the decade.

There were a lot of great songs back then, but the greatest song of the decade epitomizes what made 80s music great: awesome guitar riffs, addictive drum beats, a melody you can hum, lyrics that combine drama, intrigue and humor, and a really cheesy video with a statuesque blonde model. Oh, and it was performed by a one-hit-wonder, which was another thing the 1980s was full of. It's got it all!

I would like to say that I have been working diligently over the past 24 years to try and figure out just what song was the greatest song of the greatest decade ever, but in all reality, the idea that this song was, in fact, the best, just popped into my head this morning while I was frantically trying to scarf down my three eggs and catch all of the Cheerios the Baby was hurling all over the dining room. For some reason this song popped into my head, and the light bulb went off.

So, now, without any further delay, the Greatest Song of the 1980s, as determined by me, the only person whose opinion matters, at least on this blog: "Ah! Leah!" by the bespectacled Donnie Iris.

2 comments: