Friday, July 12, 2013

A Terrible Attitude

When you saw the title of this post, I imagine you probably thought I was going to be writing about any or all three of my hooligans. While it's true that a 4-year-old, 3-year-old, and 15-month-old can all have a bad attitude from time to time, or even all the time, I am not going to be writing about them today. No, being the egomaniac that I am, I'm going to write about my own terrible attitude.

Now, I don't think I have a terrible attitude all of the time. In fact, I think I'm a pretty happy-go-lucky, laid-back, try-to-be-kind-to-old-ladies-and-lost-bunnies kind of guy. And, if I can be honest with you, which is not always easy for me to do here on my blog, (wait a minute...usually I'm probably far too honest...hmmm...) I will admit that I am a God-fearing Christian who tries to live my life the way that Jesus lived his, although most days I fall far short of that goal. Yes, every day I trip up somewhere, or to be even more honest, many places along the way.

The worst place that I mess up and let my terrible attitude get the best of me is on the road. I am a very impatient, offensively-minded defensive driver, and I let all of the excruciatingly slow drivers that are on the road get under my skin. I know that a lot of the really slow drivers are probably very nice people in all other facets of life, yet I can't help but hate them because of their slowness. I feel bad about hating them, but while I am stuck behind them going 54mph in the left lane of a highway that has a 55mph speed limit, I truly do hate them. If you are one of those people, please accept my apologies for hating you while you are driving. And, also, please get in the right lane. NOW!

I wish more people followed this rule. But, then I would have to find something else to get angry about...
Yup, I need to work on my attitude, but at least I don't let myself get too mad. Most of the time, that is. I used to yell a lot. Things like "COME ON!!" or "CAN YOU DRIVE ANY SLOWER?!?!?" at the top of my lungs. When the Girl started copying me and yelling "Come On!" from the backseat when she was about 18 months old, I knew I should probably stop doing that. Now I simply mutter those same phrases under my breath. Muttering can be just as therapeutic as yelling.

Well, I am done talking about my bad attitude. Hopefully you can all forgive me. And, if you ever see me right on your bumper as you drive too slowly in the left lane, please don't take it personally. I'll only hate you for a little while.


No comments:

Post a Comment