Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Hi, My Name Is...

When I came up with the title of this post, I immediately started humming the tune to the rap song "My Name Is" by Eminem. I am not a huge fan of rap, but I don't hate it, either. In fact, I used to be the owner of several rap CDs, including Run DMC's Greatest Hits, and a couple of Beastie Boys CDs. I no longer own any of those CDs, not necessarily because I stopped liking rap, although that had something to do with it, but more because of the fact that I am an interminable seller of CDs. An evil part of my brain is always eager to tell me, "Hey, Scott, you'll never want to listen to this CD any more. Why don't you take it to Half Price Books or Cheapo Records and sell it for approximately 1/1000th of what you paid for it? If you sell enough of your CDs there, maybe you could afford to stop at McDonald's on your way home for a small order of french fries?" For some reason over the years, I have often listened to myself during times like this, and gone off and sold bins and bins of CDs for pennies on the dollar. Invariably, within a few months, I get songs from these CDs stuck in my head, so I go home to listen to them, and end up in a puddle of my own despair when I realize I sold the CD for virtually no money a few months earlier. I don't know how many times this has happened over the course of my life. You'd think I would learn, wouldn't you? For some reason, I don't.
I chose to use this photo instead of a photo of the rapper Eminem, because I've always thought Eminem kind of sounded like Kermit the Frog, and I'm not really into hearing Kermit the Frog rapping. That's just my opinion, though. I'm sure Eminem is a very nice person in all other regards...

Any ways, this blog post was not supposed to be about rap music, or my penchant for selling CDs that I shouldn't sell. Instead this blog post was supposed to be about my name, which is Scott, so let's get back on track, shall we?

Yes, my name is Scott. To me, it seems like a fairly straight-forward name. It's only got 5 letters. It only has one syllable. I think that it should be pretty easily remembered by people. Yet, for some reason, for some people, it isn't. OK, I probably should temper my rant right now, because it's true that a large majority of people do remember my name. Sure, when I was a kid, a few people called me Steve, but that's probably understandable, since my dad's name is Steve. I can see how some people could make that mistake.

Even now, every once in a while, people who don't even know my dad will still call me Steve. I guess that's probably because Scott and Steve both have just one syllable and start with "S", so I can kind of understand that too. It's the other names that people call me that I don't understand.

For some reason, I have been called "Mark" more than a handful of times over the years. What's that all about? I don't get it.

At my own wedding, a person who shall remain nameless (not because I don't remember her name, just because I'm trying to be nice) called me "Chris". Shouldn't someone at my wedding know my name? That one still boggles my mind.

Just this past weekend, somebody called me "Jeff". "Jeff" is nothing like Scott. I have no idea where that came from. It's almost enough to make me want to wear a name tag wherever I go...

Oh well, I probably shouldn't be too upset. I, myself, am terrible at remembering people's names, at least when I am first introduced to him or her. Whenever we meet new people, the Wife and I have to sneak off to have a secret confab where we both ask each other what our new acquaintance's name is. Between the two of us, we can usually figure it out, but if we meet you at a party some time in the near future, don't be surprised if we both refer to you as "Hey you." At least that's better than "Jeff", don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment