Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Riddle of the Middle (Child)

I can't really believe it my own self, but the Boy turns 3 today. It is pretty mind-boggling to think that it's already been three years since he was born, and yet, in some ways, it seems as though he has always been a part of our lives. It's almost impossible for me to remember a day when I didn't have a boy. It's an odd phenomenon, I tell you what.

What's even odder is that, despite the fact that it often seems as though he's always been a part of our family, I can't recall a whole lot about him as a baby. I assume it's because he's the middle child.

I tend to remember pretty much everything about the Girl as baby. She was our first child, and she brought with her all the trials and trepidations that new parents have to deal with. And, it was all new, especially for me. I had never changed a diaper in my whole life before the Girl arrived. In fact, I think I had only held one or two babies before her, and that was for a total of probably five minutes. All that newness really stuck with me. It also didn't hurt that we took approximately 4 billion photos of our first bundle of poop. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure all the pictures will help keep those memories fresh for a long time.

And now we have the Baby. Her babyhood is still fresh in our minds, seeing as how she's only 15 months old. She stills acts like a baby on many occasions, even though she's up walking around and doing a bunch of other things that toddlers do. She also has been very memorable since she was by far the crankiest baby in the history of civilization. It will be pretty difficult to forget that, no matter how hard we try.

But the Boy has been a different matter. He was a very laid-back baby, taking life as it came, not making too big of a fuss about anything. And, he was born right as the Girl was really starting to talk and act like an actual human, so she may have overshadowed him in some regards. Now he's three, though, and he has become the cutest, silliest, and nicest boy any parents could ask for. He makes us laugh all the time, and he makes me so proud to be his daddy.

If you can stomach it, I made a little video from some photos of the Boy, from the day he was born up until today. I'm sure the photos won't cause a problem, but the soundtrack might leave something to be desired. Check it out and see what you think. And, Happy Birthday Bubba! Daddy loves you!




No comments:

Post a Comment