Monday, August 5, 2013

"I Will Make You A Fisher of Toddlers"

I have had good intentions all summer, but have not followed through with them in a timely fashion. My intentions came about when my in-laws moved into their new house, and we moved into their old house, a mile and a half away from them. See, their new house is situated right on the shores of a lovely, medium-sized, picturesque, metro-area lake. And, although this lake doesn't have much of a reputation as being filled with fish, my intent was to spend many a night there this summer with my two oldest hooligans, the Girl and the Boy, teaching them the ins and outs of fishing.We could stroll over to Grandma & Grandpa's house after dinner, spend an hour or so hauling in bucketloads of fish (I'm a really good teacher) and the aforementioned hooligans would be back home in time to wash all the fish slime off and slide into bed.

That was my intention, at least. In reality, I spent most of the summer letting my mind and time wander towards other things, like selling our house, playing softball, and who-knows-what-else. We could have gone over and fished as soon as we moved into our new house, way back in, um, hmmmm, when did we move again? The whole year is kind of a blur...Or we could have gone over and fished back in late June/early July, when all the water in front of the in-laws' shoreline was filled with sunfish that were hovering around, protecting their nests in the shallow water. It would have been easy pickings, and the kids would have had a hoot. But, we never got over there. Daddy was too busy, or at least he thought he was.

Finally, this past Saturday night, which, if you aren't familiar with our calendar here in the Central Time Zone, was August 2nd, we made it down to the lake and fished for about a half hour or so. It was a delightful time, even though there didn't seem to be a single fish swimming in the thick weeds that now seemed to inhabit the entire lake. Nobody seemed to care. In fact, the Girl seemed downright giddy at the prospect of reeling in and seeing the long weeds stuck to her hook. "Can I reel in and see if I got any weeds, Daddy?!", she asked several times. Maybe my intentions didn't go as awry as I thought. And, I guess learning that you don't always catch fish is one of the most important things you can learn about fishing. I don't plan on teaching them that lesson ever again.
I know it's hard to tell, but this is actually a photo of the in-laws' lake. Now that's a lot of weeds!

No comments:

Post a Comment