Friday, September 20, 2013

Huh?

Life is full of questions. I should know. I am the mostly-proud parent of a very inquisitive 4-year-old, the Girl. Generally speaking, the Girl fills up each and every day with somewhere right around a billion questions. Some of them have been real thought-provoking doozies, too. Like "Where is heaven?", "Why is the sky blue?", and "Why do boys have one of those things and girls don't?" As you can imagine, I reeled off the same correct answer for each of those questions: "Ummmm....."

The Girl isn't the only source of all the questions, though. Deep, mind-blowing questions can be found in all walks of life, such as:
  • If you could do it all over again, would you change anything?
  • What is the difference between living and existing? 
  • Is it more important to love, or to be loved?
  • Where do babies come from?
  • Does this dress make me look fat?
And, of course, possibly the greatest question ever asked, by Barbara Walters when she was interviewing sportscaster Marv Albert, after he was caught in a rather compromising position with a certain lady friend :
  • Is wearing women's underwear part of your turn-on?
Another deep question has haunted me, off and on, for the past 20 years or so, ever since my first, failed, foray into college life. OK, it hasn't actually haunted me, but it does pop into my brain every once in a while for no apparent reason. Back then, I was succeeding at being a very ordinary student at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls. I was an Art & Art History major, mostly because I really didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up. I had a professor, let's call him Dr. Bob, the Art Professor, because I don't actually remember what his name was. Dr. Bob, although not being memorable enough for me to remember his name, asked one of the most mentally probing questions I have ever been asked, the answer to which I have been unable to come up with, despite minutes upon minutes of pondering over it.

Perhaps you can help me figure out the answer. Or maybe the problem is that there isn't a right or wrong answer. Maybe I have been racking my brain over it for no reason. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened...Whatever the case, if you can figure it out please let me know so I can finally forget about Dr. Bob for good.

The question he posed on that fateful day back in the spring of 1993 was: "If you could erase your past, and tasted Coke for the very first time today, would you like it?" He claimed that our answers would unanimously be No, because he had stopped drinking it for several years, and had no yearning to have it again. He also thought that we, as a society, only liked Coke because we all started drinking it as young children, when we didn't know any better. I don't think I agree with him, but I have, so far, been unwilling to put it to the test. If anyone can tell me the correct answer, so I don't ever have to put it to the test, that would be fine with me. Let me know soon, please, so I can use my brain for more important questions, like How could there be anyone alive who doesn't like bacon? Now, that's a question worth ruminating on...
The question in question was about Coke, but I prefer Pepsi. Don't tell Dr. Bob...

No comments:

Post a Comment