Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Action Figures Are Not Dolls!

Action figures are not dolls. That is a declarative statement that is meant for a certain someone I live with who likes to tease me relentlessly whenever I play with the kids and their action figures. Dolls have flowing hair that you can brush, and interchangeable outfits that have glittery sequins and shiny baubles. Action figures do not. End of story.

The kids have lots of cool action figures, and being the doting Daddy that I claim to be, I find that part of my duties is to help the kids play with them whenever they ask me to. And whenever I ask them to. Usually the older two kids, the Girl and the Boy, are around during the playing, but sometimes they get a little bossy about which action figures I get to play with, and even what I can have my action figures do. It can put a damper on the fun. But tonight's action figure playtime was just for me and the Baby, since the other two were still in the bathtub. We had a great time playing, pretending, and laughing together; these things wouldn't have happened if we were playing with dolls, I'll tell you that much for sure.

I did notice a thing or two that was odd about a couple of the action figures, though. First of all, we have a whole bunch of hand-me-down Littlest Pet Shop figures that the Girl got as a hand-me-down a couple of years ago. If you don't know what those are, they are small action figures that look like animals of all sorts, and they come with various accoutrements that small animal action figures need. Some of you might question whether Littlest Pet Shop toys should fit in the "action figure" category. I looked it up, and if all of your children are under the age of 5, they do count as action figures. So, we're good.

Any way, the Littlest Pet Shop action figure that caused me some concern is pictured below. The problem is that I have no idea what kind of animal it is supposed to be. Is it a hamster? Maybe a guinea pig? Some kind of marmot? Perhaps a kitten whose tail was cut off in a freak miter saw accident? If you know for sure, please inform me so I can put my mind at ease.



The second oddity I noticed tonight concerned the Boy's new Incredible Hulk action figure that he just got for Christmas. It obviously is supposed to be the Hulk, as you can tell from the muscular, green body and the cut-off pants. But when you look at it more closely, specifically in the face, it looks more like a beefed-up version of Sprout, the Jolly Green Giant's tiny apprentice. I'm sure this is probably just a coincidence, but I am going to try to use it to get the kids to eat their peas. They won't do it for Mommy and Daddy, but maybe they will if their action figure tells them to. It's worth a shot...

Something about the Boy's Incredible Hulk action figure reminds me of Sprout. Either I'm on to something, or I'm on something...


1 comment:

  1. You Scott, are quite the Daddy!! Judy

    ReplyDelete