Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Trouble With Walls

Up until recently I've always liked walls. I've rather enjoyed being surrounded by at least four of them, especially at night during the frigid winter months here in The Most Inhospitable Place in the World, otherwise known as Minnesota. Sure, I've spent a lot of time outdoors, as well, doing fun things like fly fishing, golfing, playing softball, camping, and shoveling dirt and/or snow, but at the end of all these fun adventures, I've always liked going back inside to enjoy my walls.

Over the past few months, though, I must have gotten used to not having walls, at least in our basement. If you haven't heard, we began renovating shortly after we moved in to our new house. At first the changes were going to be pretty minor, but soon it was evident that it needed some more drastic work done. So, all the drywall on 8 of the 10 walls in the two main rooms got torn off and thrown out, and a majority of the studs had to go, too. We were pretty much starting over with a clean slate.

The clean slate meant that the basement seemed a lot more open than when we first moved in. With no walls, we could see from one end of the basement to the other, and, if I was working in one room, and my drill or whatever other tool I might need was in the next room, I could pretty much walk in a straight line to get it - no walls meant I didn't have to use doors if I didn't want to. And, if I wanted to watch a football game on our state-of-the-art 13 inch TV/VCR combo, I could set it up anywhere in the basement and be able to see what was going on no matter where I was ("See" is a relative term. I meant that I could kind of make out what was happening on the tiny screen, but I could hear everything, so I could at least tell which team was beating
my beloved Vikings...).
This is what it was like when I was able to watch TV from the other room. I will never be able to have this sweet setup again...

It was a perfect setup to work in. But, all that work I was doing meant only one thing: soon all the studs would be in place, and it would be time to hang some new sheetrock. Well, that time has come, and 80% of the sheetrock is up, including on the walls in between the rooms. So, now I can't see from one room to the next, so if I want to watch a game the TV/VCR combo has to be in the same room as me, and the worst part about it, if I need something from the other room, which I always do because I am notorious for leaving my tools all over the place, I need to actually walk through the doors to go get it. I suppose at some point I will get used to using doors again, but for now, every time I have to use one, it grates on my nerves.

It makes me talk to myself. "Remember last week when I didn't have to use the door. That was the best." Yup, walls can be really annoying some times...

No comments:

Post a Comment