Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Mother-In-Law to the Rescue!

We had a not-entirely-unexpected mishap this morning as we were all trying to get out the door. The Wife was heading off to work, and I was making my best attempt at hauling the two older kids to preschool and dropping the Little One at her grandma's house. We were only a few minutes late, so we were doing pretty well as far as we are concerned. All the kids were securely strapped into their car seats in the van, and the Wife was just about to pull out of the driveway in the car, when it happened: the van wouldn't start. The battery was totally dead.

This has happened a couple of other times this winter, but those times we were able to slip the van in neutral, roll it out of our single lane driveway and into the street, and jump it. Today, for whatever reason, we couldn't switch gears to get it into neutral, so we had to think fast. Thankfully the Wife was still in the driveway, so we unloaded the two older kids and flung them into the car so the Wife could take them to school, and the Little One and I went into the house to wait for grandma to come get us. Normally grandma could have just taken the Little One and left me, but I had some appointments to get to, and I wanted to get a new battery for the van, so I borrowed their SUV. Now that I think about it, their SUV is a lot nicer, or at least cleaner, than our van...maybe I'll just keep it for a few more days...
This is the state that the van was in when the battery went completely dead. The door won't close, but at least it's not raining or snowing. And, it's probably good that we got the door opened, otherwise the kids would still be in there...

This is the SUV my in-laws are letting me borrow for the day. It's much snazzier than our van. I'm thinking maybe the battery is not the only thing wrong with the van...perhaps the johnson rod needs to be replaced, too. That sounds like a 6 day job...



No comments:

Post a Comment