Monday, March 17, 2014

The More Things Change, The More Things Change Some More

I have always loved the month of March. Well, maybe not always... I remember very little about my childhood, so my feelings about March when I was, say, 3, are gone forever. But, going back to the days that I do remember, like from the end of elementary school on, I have always had a special place in my heart for the month of March.

Of course, March always means the end of winter, which, in Minnesota, can be the bleakest 8 months of the year. So that's always fun. March also means other things, too. Back when I was but a wee lad, March meant watching the Minnesota State hockey and basketball tournaments on TV with my parents, along with the Final Four in college basketball.

As I grew older, I continued to watch all those tournament games, but I also began to run my own NCAA basketball pool. I would try to coerce anyone I came into contact with to enter my pool, talking up the chance of winning a couple hundred bucks, while secretly hoping they didn't know their North Carolina Tarheels (a perennially good team) from their UC-Irvine Anteaters (not a good team). I ran my pool for something like 20 years, give or take a couple, and always had a great time running it, and an even better time when I occasionally won it.

March also meant the start of the trout season in Wisconsin. Any day that the air temp was over 25 I would try to find some time to sneak across the border and tease some trout. If I wasn't out fishing, I would busily be tying more flies for the next time I got out. I spent a lot of time thinking about trout fishing!

Now, March means something different. Take yesterday for example. It was a beautiful sunny day, the type of day that probably meant the trout were active and hungry. If I had been on a trout stream, I would have slayed them, no doubt about it. Yesterday was also the day that the pairings for the NCAA tourney came out. In past years, I would have been glued to my TV all day, watching all the conference championship games, and then heading off to Kinko's to make copies of the bracket to hand out the next day at work.
This is a totally undoctored photo of the birthday party. 

Instead of those things, I spent yesterday getting ready for, and then helping to host, a birthday party for both the Girl and the Little One. The Girl turned 5 last week, and the Little One turns 2 in a couple of days. It was a busy day, and I didn't even do a fraction of the things the Wife did. I just had to run a couple errands, set the table, and help lay out the design for the birthday cake. Oh, and then mingle with our guests. Of course, I had to help referee any fistfights that broke out between the kids, but that's an every day occurrence, so it's probably not even worth mentioning.

I didn't even have time for my normal Sunday afternoon nap. It was a long, busy day! But through the whole thing, I didn't even think about basketball or fishing. I was having too much fun! It's amazing how things can change...

No comments:

Post a Comment