Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Oh Dear!

Over my last 5 years of being a parent, I have learned that children go through a billion different stages of life in a short amount of time. Some might only last a few days, while other stages last a little longer. Kids can have significant changes from one day to the next. If you aren't paying attention, you might look at your baby one day and realize she's not a baby any more, she's the one checking you into a nursing home. If that's the case, I would try to pay more attention, if I were you.

I think one of my favorite stages is when kids are right around 2. They are just getting better at communicating, but they still say a lot of silly things and have cute mannerisms. There is so much new and interesting that they are learning about, so everything seems fresh, new and exciting. And they still have some of their baby-ishness to them, which can be either good or bad, depending on the moment. It's an exciting time!

I remember when the Girl was about that age. She was so cute, "singing" along with the songs her Mommy and I would sing to her; pretending to read her beloved books but really just saying a bunch of gibberish; and seeming totally awe-struck by the simplest of things. I remember thinking that I didn't want that stage to end, a feeling that gets pounded back into my brain every time she gives me attitude now that she is a sassy 5-year-old. Ahh, the good old days...

The Little One is now in that 2-year-old stage, although she already is showing a lot of the sassiness of a 5-year-old. She does have moments of cuteness, though. Take this past Sunday, for example. She had just gotten up from her afternoon nap, and was quite giggly and huggy, at least by her standards. She climbed up on my lap while I was watching my favorite golf pro, Bubba Watson, attempt a putt at the Masters. Even though she knows nothing about golf, and next to nothing about the English language, she seemed totally engaged as I was explaining that if Bubba hit his ball in the little hole, he would get a birdie and his lead would increase over all the other rich white guys he was playing against. We watched intently together, and as Bubba's golf ball slid past the hole without going in, the Little One let out a very clear "Oh dear!!" It was totally unexpected - everyone in the room who hadn't fallen asleep from watching golf did a double take. She proceeded to say "Oh dear!" several more times throughout the day, and even sang a little impromptu "Oh dear!" song, the entirety of which was the words "Oh dear" over and over again.
This outfit is just one of the reasons Bubba Watson is my favorite golfer. The Little One seems to like him, too...

None of us knew where she learned this favorite new phrase, until last night when she wanted the Wife to read her one of our Winnie the Pooh books at bedtime. It's one of those books with the buttons you push to hear a sound byte every few sentences. Turns out one of the buttons plays a clip of Piglet saying those exact words, "Oh dear" in his nasally, swiney voice. So that's where she learned it! Where she learned to say it right when my favorite golfer misses a birdie putt, I'll never know. Maybe she'll be a golf commentator when she grows up. I'm all for it, as long as she doesn't practice her wise comments when I miss a putt on my local course... 

No comments:

Post a Comment