Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Wedding Food Review, Volume 1

I seem to have the reputation of having an insatiable love of food. Actually, it's more than just a reputation. It's the truth! I love food! I eat a lot, and I love every minute of it. I suppose this may come back to haunt me some day, and I already have slightly elevated cholesterol levels, but that hasn't diminished my love of food.

There is one drawback. My love of food seems to have clouded my memory. When I think back at all the weddings I have attended in my life, I tend to only remember the food that was served at the receptions. Oh, and the fact that my table is always the last to be released to go up to the buffet, not that I'm mad about that or anything...I'm sure the ceremonies were all quite nice, but, if you've seen one beautiful bride in a flowing white gown, you've seen them all, and let's face it, all the other brides pale in comparison to the Wife, so it's the food that I remember.

No offense to all you other brides out there, but none of you hold a candle to the Wife. Hopefully the food at your reception was memorable...
Yup, I remember the food, such as the chicken with cherries that my friends Mel & Darin had at their reception. Or the strange little pastry-like hors d'oeurves that were dipped in the also-strange red, garlic sauce at Tony & Mel's (a different Mel) reception. The Wife and I had a morning wedding and then a brunch reception with omelets and other breakfast foods. I remember it being really good, but that was the one wedding where I had other things on my mind. Gee, I wonder why...

We attended a lovely wedding just last Friday evening, and at the reception the groom told me he wanted to talk to me later to hear my review of the food. That gave me the idea of posting my first Wedding Food Review here on the blog. Let's see how it goes, huh?

Dan & Ashlee's Wedding Food Review

First of all, the wedding was beautiful. I thought I better get that out of the way while I still remembered whether it was or not. The food was really good, too. It was catered by Brasa, a local restaurant with locations in both Minneapolis and St. Paul. I had never been to Brasa before, but I have had several friends tell me it's one of their favorite places, so I was eager to try it out.

Brasa is known for its "comfort food inspired by the Creole cooking traditions of the Americas and Caribbean." I can't attest to its authenticity in that regard, but it was really yummy. The buffet line consisted of tiny cornbread muffins, yams & andouille, coconut curry vegetables, yellow rice, cabbage & apple coleslaw, rotisserie chicken, and smoked beef. I had some of everything (except for the coconut curry veggies - I am not a fan of coconut) and a lot of some things. My favorites were the rice, chicken and beef. I have always been a big fan of meat, and have a tendency to just go back for more and more meat, even when there are other tasty things on the menu. The chicken was tender and juicy, with a really nice roasted flavor, but I think the beef was the best thing on the menu. It was tender and flavorful, even without any of the sauces that were available to slather it in. I did sprinkle a little bit of the Brasa brand BBQ sauce over some of it, which gave it a little extra kick, but it was terrific without it.

Overall, I would say the meal at Dan & Ashlee's wedding was one of the best wedding meals I have ever had, making it one of the most memorable weddings I have been privileged to attend. If you're in the Twin Cities, I would definitely recommend going to one of the two Brasa locations next time you're in the mood for some delicious comfort food. For me, that is pretty much every day. Maybe I'll see you there!


No comments:

Post a Comment