Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Her Final Days...

Today marks a turning point in the Wife's life. It's her last day in her 30s. Gasp! I know, right? I can't believe the dreaded Big 4-0 has sneaked up on her so quickly. I can talk about it so cavalierly because I still have a long time until I turn 40: 25 days. Believe me, I am not going to let the Wife forget that she's older than me for a single second during the next 25 days. We'll see if I make it to my birthday alive...

This sweet baby is turning the Big 4-0 tomorrow. Isn't she the cutest?
Yes, the Wife is having a big birthday tomorrow, but the amazing thing is that she doesn't seem the least bit concerned about it. I don't have any experience turning 40, because, as I said earlier, I don't turn 40 until 25 days after the Wife does. But I do have experience turning 30, which is another milestone birthday, and I remember not liking it one bit.

I did not want to turn 30 at all. In my head, which is not always the smartest place on Earth, I thought that life was going to go nowhere but downhill after I turned 30. Not that my life was all that sweet in my 20s, but for whatever reason, I thought my 30s were going to bring nothing but heartache, despair, and white whiskers. Thankfully only the whiskers materialized..

Let's just look back real quickly at what happened during my 30s, the decade I was despondent about before it happened. First of all, despite all my ineptitude, I succeeded in talking a most amazing woman into marrying me. Next we bought a house and totally gutted and renovated the entire basement. Before that I wasn't sure which end of the hammer I should be holding. Whilst that was going on, I decided to go back to college and get my degree. Shortly after that, we found out that we were going to have a baby, something that I was completely convinced was not going to happen. Then it happened again. And again. And, despite the fact that I like to write about our kids as though they are insane, all three of them are at least some of the time very good kids. We pretty much hit the jackpot with our kids. That does not mean we want any more...

Yes, my 30s have been pretty amazing. I don't know what I was worried about back when I was 29. Hopefully I won't repeat my mistake when I turn 40, 25 long days from now. If you see the Wife tonight, wish her a Happy Last Day of Your 30s. I'm sure she would love to hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment