Monday, June 23, 2014

Wedding Food Review, Part II

Last summer two of our nieces got married, and they seem to have started a trend. In the handful of years before that, we hadn't gone to all that many weddings, but now there seems to be a wedding bonanza going on. We just came back from our second of the year, and we have at least a couple more to go to later in the summer. I guess 2014 is the Year of Love...

OK, enough of all that mushy talk. Let's get on to the latest wedding we went to: our niece Kayt and her new husband, Jason. It was a lovely, outdoor wedding, on a lovely, sunny day, on Jason's family's lovely, picturesque farm in western Minnesota. Everything went smoothly, as far as I could tell, but, unlike the previous wedding we went to, we brought our kids to this one. If you've ever tried to pay close attention to anything in life while also trying to herd three small children, it's impossible. I am pretty sure Kayt and Jason actually did get married, but if push came to shove, I wouldn't quote me on that, if I was you. One thing is for sure: I've never been to a wedding where so many people were wearing cowboy boots. And I've been to a couple of weddings in Oklahoma, so that's saying something!

I also know that the food was really good. I am not sure if they had somebody cater it, or if they just did it themselves behind the barn, but the main course was a yummy pig roast. It was roasted to perfection, tender and juicy, and full of smokey flavors. Most people made sandwiches out of it, but some people, like the Girl, just gobbled it up by hand. "This is some delicious chicken!", she told me. Over the years I have learned that if your child is shoveling food in their mouth while thinking it's something other than what it actually is, you just let them go ahead thinking that for as long as possible. Besides, she was right - it was delicious! Even if it wasn't chicken...

The rest of the meal consisted of some tasty roasted red potatoes, some of the best baked beans I've ever had, a couple of pasta salads, and some adorable fruit skewers on wooden sticks that could have been used as weapons, if the need arose. Thankfully it didn't, but you never know...

We had to blast before the cake was served. Two of the kiddos were starting a joint meltdown at the same time, so we hustled them off to bed. That's OK, we had a great time, and were stuffed full of delicious pork or chicken, depending on your viewpoint. Congrats Kayt and Jason!

No comments:

Post a Comment