Monday, July 28, 2014

This Goes Against All My Better Judgment...

I'm not sure what to do. I'm totally conflicted, deep down at the root of everything I stand for...

As soon as we started having kids, lo those many moons ago, I was adamant that I would never let my kids do one thing: play soccer. As far as I was concerned, soccer wasn't fun to play, or watch, or interesting enough to waste any time on. I still feel that way, but now that two of our kids (the Girl and the Boy) are old enough to be on sports teams, I may be softening my stance a little. It seems as though every kid in the entire world plays soccer nowadays, at least for a year or two. And, it would be good for the kids to get some good exercise, and to learn the importance of teamwork for, you know, when they play real sports...
I think this animated GIF grabbed my attention because it reminds me of a soccer match I played against Gandhi back in the day...He was surprisingly spry for such a peaceful man...

I see our city is offering soccer leagues in the fall, and we'd probably only have to sell one or two of our kidneys to be able to pay the entry fees for two kids...So far, I haven't gotten myself to pull the trigger and sign them up, though. I'm not sure what I am waiting for. Perhaps a sign from God; or for us to win the lottery...what's more likely is that I am waiting for myself to come to my senses and sign them up for anything else they might offer. I will let you know how this deep inner turmoil resolves itself.

4 comments:

  1. I steered my boys away from hockey because I didn't want to be in the cold rinks...."they" chose basketball!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are open to hockey, if that's what they choose. We better start saving up some $ now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If money is tight, steer clear from competitive cheer. It will suck you dry in fees, travel, and visits to the emergency room, all so that your child can perform for 2.5 minutes on a stage. True story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the warning, Diane. I will just make them cheer for me while I continue to play softball well past my prime! :)

    ReplyDelete