Thursday, January 15, 2015

Friend or Pho?

The first time I tried to make soup wasn't exactly a disaster, but the end result was not really all that soup-like either. It was before the Wife and I were married, and it might have been before we even knew each other, so that would make it at least 10 years ago now, and I remember it like it was yesterday...

For some unknown reason I thought that I could make some delicious chicken and dumpling soup, even though I never had made any before, and I had never even really watched anyone make any kind of soup before, other than the kind that came from a can. I think I had recently been to Cracker Barrel several times, where I always order the Chicken & Dumplings with two side orders of dumplings, so I had dumplings on my brain. I didn't really know what I was doing, or how to make dumplings, or what other ingredients go into chicken and dumpling soup, but all in all it turned out to be not all that bad, except for the fact that the dumplings were more like enormous globs of dough, I put way too many of them into the soup, and they pretty much just clumped together, filling the top of the pot with one giant dumpling mass. Looking back at it, it turned out to be more like a stock pot sized chicken pot pie, but the filling was more liquidy than in real pot pies. It was pretty much the worst. But it was food, so I ate it.
This photo really has nothing to do with this blog post, but I thought it was hilarious, so here it is.
For some other unknown reason, I decided to try my luck at soup again last night. Only this time I wasn't foolish enough to try my hand at chicken and dumplings again. Oh no. This time I decided to attempt to make some Pho, a Vietnamese noodle soup that not only had I never eaten before, but I hadn't seen up close in almost 15 years, and I had no idea what was in it. How could it possibly go wrong?

Well, aside from the fact that I have no idea what Pho is supposed to taste like, this experiment didn't turn out too bad! I pretty much followed the recipe I had found online, so that was a plus. And it didn't look like a pot pie or anything else other than soup, so that was another plus. And, none of our kids liked it, which puts it in the same category as 99% of food, so I would consider that yet another plus. What put it over the top was that I ate three bowls of it, and I didn't experience any more gastrointestinal unease than I usually do after I eat way more than I should have, which happens at least twice every day. And the Wife said she liked it too! I would consider my Pho experiment a rousing success! Will wonders never cease?


No comments:

Post a Comment