Thursday, March 12, 2015

6 Years Ago...

Today is Thursday, March 12th, 2015. Exactly six years ago it was Thursday, March 12th, 2009. I know this because on that day I was exactly one day from becoming a father, a fact I was unaware of at the time. Oh, I knew I was going to be a father, but I didn't think it would happen for at least another week or so. The Wife was very pregnant, that much was obvious, even to me, but she kept telling me that she felt good and there were no other signs pointing to the fact that fatherhood was extremely imminent.

In fact, our due date wasn't for another nine days. Although, to be honest, that was probably the most inaccurate "due date" in the history of obstetrics, a topic in which I am well-versed, as you can probably imagine. Why was it so inaccurate, you might be asking yourself. Well, if you would ask me instead of asking yourself I would tell you that it's because the Wife and I picked our due date ourselves. We had always thought that the Ob/Gyn or the ultrasound technician would tell us when our baby was going to be due, but they couldn't pinpoint anything, so they let us pick the date. We both are fans of the start of Spring, so we picked that as the official unofficial due date for our firstborn. Turns out we were way off.

Really, I didn't care when the fetus that would soon be known as the Girl made his or her grand entrance into the world. Except, I wasn't real excited about having a baby born on Friday, March 13th. It's not that I'm superstitious or anything, although maybe I am a little bit...Mostly I wasn't super excited about that birth date because it would be the same as someone from my past, and I didn't especially want that yearly reminder. But, God has different plans than I do, and sure enough, the Wife started having contractions the evening of the 12th, we hightailed it to the hospital around midnight, and the Girl made her triumphant entry in the wee hours of Friday, March 13th, 2009. I call them the wee hours because we all went "WEEEE!!!" when she was born. Actually The Wife might have said a few other things as well, she didn't get any pain meds before the whole thing went down...

So, my beautiful daughter will be 6 tomorrow. Nothing bad has come from her being born on Friday the 13th, even though there were a few months there, when she was around 1, that we thought she might be psychotic. Turned out she was just a normal baby. Who knew? And the yearly reminder of my past is not a bad thing either. You can't run from your past, so you might as well embrace it. My past helped make me who I am today. Whether my past is proud of that fact or not is another story all together...

2 comments:

  1. Two things:
    1. I want to know who has a March 13th birthday. Remind me to ask you next time we hang out.

    2. My mom wasn't very excited for me to be born on Friday the 13th either. She went into labor late on Thursday the 12th and was at the hospital waiting for things to run their course. As it got later, she figured she'd give just a little push to see if it sped things up. It did. The doctor basically caught me on my way out at 8:09 p.m. on Thursday the 12th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think things would have turned out differently if you were born on the 13th...? Perhaps we never would have met and you would never have read my blog...Oh, and maybe you would have never gotten hit by that dude throwing the baseball back to me in Little League...Your mom's pushing might have altered the world forever.... Whoa...

    ReplyDelete