Sunday, April 12, 2015

Life Lessons With Scott

I have been a father for what seems like an eternity now, and it seems as though I am constantly passing on my wisdom to my kids, either through long, boring lectures, or by making a fool of myself and then telling my kids not to do what daddy just did. Through all of this incessant teaching, my kids will probably grow up and make all the same mistakes that I have made, because it is human nature to not listen to your parents. Well, at least I can say that I tried.

Lately I have been trying to teach our oldest child, the Girl, one of the most painful lessons that I have ever learned. She seems to be listening, yet I am afraid that, even though my stories are frightful and full of passion on my part, she still will probably only really learn it if and when she makes the same mistake that I did, oh so many years ago. My soul cries for her just thinking about it...

In a year or so, I will have to try to teach the Boy this same lesson, and then the Little One a year or so after that. Each time it will hurt a little bit more having to resurrect these horrible memories, but if it can save any or all of my children from experiencing the same heartache that I did, it will all be worth it.

I might as well share this life lesson with you, my faithful readers. If I don't, I may always be haunted by the thoughts that I could have spared you some misery if I had just shared my own misery through my blog. Or, more likely, I will just forget about it all by tomorrow and I will go on to live a happy life. But, right now, as I sit in front of my keyboard, I feel I must teach you this valuable life lesson that I am trying to teach my children. I am about to bare my soul here... Are you grasping the importance of this? Here it goes.

Scott's Life Lesson #1: Always bring at least two fly rods with on every fishing trip! 
I will never forget the last time I didn't follow this rule. It is a day that will be etched on my brain until the day I die. I had driven an hour to one of my favorite trout streams, a beautiful stretch of water that is filled with wonder and joy, and large trouts. I got out of the car and walked down to inspect the beautiful river. Then I wriggled into my chest waders and worked at getting my wading boots on. I wrangled myself into my fishing vest which is loaded with box after box of important flies. I pulled my trusty fly rod out of its protective tube and mounted the reel on it, like I had countless times before. I carefully strung the fly line through the guides and tied just the right fly onto the end of the leader. The anticipation of catching some of the loveliest creatures that swim on God's Earth was palpable, like it always is. Then I remembered something I had forgotten in the trunk, so I leaned my rod up against the side of the car. Barely had I gotten to the back of the car when a huge gust of wind came up and slammed the car door shut right on my $500 fly rod. It wasn't the expensive fly rod that got me, though, since fly rods can always be fixed. It was the fact that I had left all of my other dozen or so fly rods back at home that day that really made me cry. And let me tell you, a beautiful trout stream that is packed with large, eager fish is no place that anyone should be crying. So please, especially if you are one of my children, please listen to me when I say that you should always bring at least two fly rods with on every fishing trip! Thank you for listening to my boring lecture.
I never knew LeBron was a fly fisherman, but this kind of emotion can only come because he broke his favorite fly rod and didn't have another one in the car. I know the feeling...

No comments:

Post a Comment