Monday, May 11, 2015

The Artiste in Me...

If you know me well at all you probably are aware that my first foray into college did not go all that well. It lasted exactly one year and one day, and then I decided I had had enough of school, so I dropped out with no other plans of what to do with my life. I did finally go back twelve years later, and graduated 3 years after that, so in other words I took a four year degree and crammed it into 16 years. Does that show stick-to-it-iveness or what? I think "What" is probably the correct answer to that question...

So, any ways, if you didn't know that about the length of my college career, you also may not know that for that first year and a day of college, I was an Art major. I suppose the high quality of the doodles that have accompanied some of my blog posts might have made you a little suspicious about my training in the fine arts. Well, I guess the cat's out of the bag now. Yes, I was quite the artiste.

The only reason I am writing about my prolific artistic abilities now is because we have recently been working at cleaning out my parents' house a little bit, and I came across some of my old artwork from back in my college days. It was stuffed in my old homemade portfolio and crammed in the recesses of the basement, exactly where it belonged. Actually, where it really belonged was in the recycle bin, which is where some of it has gone, but there were a few old drawings that I am a little proud of, and I thought I would share them in the museum that is better known as this ol' blog. Since I am the curator of this blog, I can do what I want. And, since no other museum would ever even think about putting any of my artwork up, it's up to me. So, I am proud(ish) to present what is sure to be my first and only art show:

This first batch of drawings are of what I can only assume is the same model. I don't remember anything about her, but I am sure I was probably madly in love with her, since this was the closest any female ever let me get back in those days...


I'm assuming she was only in this pose because she just realized that she had to pose for me yet again...
This next set of six drawings were from what I call my "thing phase". No people were allowed on set during my "thing phase". Artistes can be very temperamental, you know.
Not sure what this one is all about...
This was probably my first ever self portrait. Unfortunately it is eerily lifelike, even the mullet...
I swear I've never done drugs...
I wasn't sure I should include this one here on this PG-rated blog, but it very well might be the finest ever drawing of a nude lady with a potato for a head, so I thought I might as well.
This is also unfortunately a very accurate self portrait..
At first, the Wife and I turned this one round and round, trying to figure out what it was. Now, it's obvious! It's the Easter Bunny! Were we blind?!?!

So, this ends my first and only art show. Thank you for making it all the way to the end! Come back and revisit it any time, and don't forget to tell your friends!

3 comments:

  1. Fun. You should add a quick sketch to accompany some of your blog posts from time to time. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun. You should add a quick sketch to accompany some of your blog posts from time to time. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Jesse, for the comment. Perhaps I will....

    ReplyDelete