Monday, June 1, 2015

Back In My Day...

Back in my day, a kid who had made it to the age of 17 or 18, or in some cases 25, and had fought his or her way through 13 years of misery known as school graduated but once, on the last day of his or her 13th year of school. We didn't have a kindergarten graduation. We didn't have an elementary school graduation. We didn't have a junior high graduation. We had one graduation, on the last day of our last year of 12th grade. We liked it that way. It gave us something to strive for as we slogged through our 13 years of misery. It was the way it was supposed to be. Period.

Nowadays it seems as though kids have a graduation ceremony every other week. They graduate from kindergarten. They graduate from 5th grade. They graduate from 8th grade. Some kids graduate from preschool. I've even heard of schools that have a graduation ceremony for every grade, every year! What is this world coming to?!?!
Might as well slap a mortarboard on them as soon as they come out of the womb...

I am writing about the good ol' days because we, as a family, are having our first of what will seem like hundreds of graduations tomorrow. The Girl is graduating from kindergarten. There will be a graduation ceremony. I am sure there will be pomp and circumstance. All the kindergarteners will be wearing robes and mortarboards. I think tassles will be involved. Parents will be pushing and shoving each other out of the way to snap yet another photo of their beloved hoodlum, I mean graduate. It will be pure chaos. And I will be there, thinking about the good ol' days and rolling my eyes. Oh, I'll also be hooting and hollering for my sweet little girl, and pushing and shoving my way into prime photo-taking territory. Is it difficult to take good photos while your eyes are rolling? I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. If you can't smell 20 years of hockey player sweat, it's not a real graduation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember the smell of hockey player sweat at ours, but if you say so I will take your word on it. Wait a minute, were you even there? Weren't you at the Arts H.S.? The Girl's ceremony will be in the gym. Kindergarteners' sweat is not much better...

      Delete
    2. I was at the arts high school, but do you really think I'd miss your high school graduation after I'd already missed your kindergarten, 5th grade and 8th grade graduations?

      Aldrich didn't really smell like sweat. That was just the only joke I could come up with.

      Delete
    3. I am so honored that you came to my graduation! It really meant something to me, and I will cherish that memory forever, now that you told me about it.

      I assume you will be at the Girl's graduation today, too. Save me a seat if you get there first, k?

      Delete