Sunday, July 5, 2015

A Weekend to Remember...

We had a great weekend. It started out on Friday, which just happened to be the Boy's 5th birthday. You probably noticed that the most noteworthy part of his birthday was that I did not post an embarrassing video accompanied by even more embarrassing singing by yours truly, like I usually do when someone in my family has a birthday. I just didn't have enough time to slap a video like that together. Actually, I did have time, but I spent most of the day trying to think of a new song I could sing for the video, and I never did come up with one. Songwriting is harder than it looks. I guess you are stuck with me just being a blogger.

Saturday was the 4th of July, and we spent a large portion of the day doing what most Americans do on the 4th: eating grilled meat products and playing yard games. Oh, we also took all three kids to watch some local fireworks well after their bedtime, which went surprisingly well. The Boy made it about 2/3 of the way through the show before he got tired/scared of the loud noises and went inside, and the Little One also made it through about 2/3 of the show, her first fireworks show as a human, before she got bored and asked to play a game on her aunt's smartphone. We finally got them all in bed about 3.5 hours later than normal, with no major meltdowns from any of them. I know, I didn't believe it either, and I saw it with my own two eyes.

Today we celebrated the Boy's birthday with family members. The food was all spectacular, and I'm not just saying that because my beautiful pregnant wife, the Wife, made most of it. It really was good. This is strange for me, but I especially liked the cake, and its trusty sidekick, cream cheese frosting. Usually I prefer savory foods to sweets, but not today. The Wife used the aforementioned frosting to make a terrific Thomas the Tank Engine cake for the Boy. I had three pieces, even after I had already stuffed myself full of chicken, corn on the cob, and various other foods. The cake was so good that it has inspired me to finally write a new birthday song... but I guess it will have to wait til next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment