Thursday, July 9, 2015

Time to Lambaste Me

I may get lambasted for putting this in writing, but none of my kids came out of the womb being the gender that I had hoped they would be. You're probably not supposed to say something like that about your kids, but it's true. Of course I didn't let that stop me from loving them with all my heart.

It all started over 6 years ago, with the Girl. Being our first, I had no idea how to deal with babies at all. I had little experience even holding a baby, and had never fed one or changed a single diaper. Plus, it had taken us a long time to get pregnant, and in the back of my mind I thought that since it had taken so long, there was a pretty good chance this might be our only child. And, girls can be frightening. I have distinct memories of my own childhood, specifically 7th grade, when a large portion of my dealings with girls were not all that fun. So, for these reasons, I wanted our baby to be a boy. When she finally popped out, and it was obvious even to me that she was a girl, I was a little sad. Thankfully that feeling subsided when I held her for the first time.

Six months after that glorious day, the Wife and I decided that having a baby around wasn't such a bad deal, so we thought we better start trying for a second one. Since it took so long for us to get pregnant with the Girl, we figured we better get started fast. Nine months later we were at the hospital again, getting ready for baby #2 to arrive. And I figured that, since we already had a house full of girl clothes, we might as well have another girl. Plus, the Girl was about the easiest baby ever, at least as far as I knew, so all girls must be like that, right? Well, out popped the Boy, which was even more obvious to me than the Girl had been, so we had to go out and buy an all-new wardrobe, as well as a bunch of trucks, trains and a baseball glove (those were my ideas).

The Boy, too, was as easy a baby as could be, so one night when he was about a year old, we had an epiphany that maybe we should try for yet another. By the next morning both the Wife and I weren't quite sure we were actually ready for another baby, but nine months later there we were, back in the delivery room. This time I was hoping for another boy, since the Boy was outnumbered by his older sister and their cousin, the Cousin, who they often played with. So, of course, we had a girl.

Now, three-and-a-half years later, we are expecting our fourth child, and we have an appointment tomorrow to try to find out the gender. You would think I would have learned by now, but I have my hopes again for it to be a certain gender. I'm not going to say what I am hoping for, though, because I don't want to get lambasted any more than I already am. Knowing our luck I should probably just be thankful there's only one of them in there, which supposedly there is. Whew!
Lots of questions swirling around our latest fetus. Hopefully they will all be answered tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment