Tuesday, August 4, 2015

A Place to Hibernate

I'm sure you probably assume that life with a 3-, 5-, and 6-year-old in the house is pretty hum-drum and boring, much like a lazy siesta in the afternoon, or even like the groggy and lethargic feeling that lingers after a hibernation of several months in length. Not being Mexican or a bear, I'm not entirely sure about those two metaphors, but I can say that the Wife and I had been lulled into a false sense of blahness in recent months. I blame our three kids for this. It's not that they are just motionless blobs or anything, but it seems like the clatter that they make is always at the same level - not quite loud enough to make your ears bleed, but not quiet enough to let you have any deep coherent thoughts, this blog being proof of that. Since the clatter is always at that same level, the Wife and I were getting pretty bored, let me tell you.

So, we did two things to liven things up a little around the house. Both of which weren't really planned. First, we got pregnant. When the baby arrives, in about 4 months, there should be a definite rise in excitement, and noise, around our house. And, of course, what do sane people do when they find out they are having a baby in a few weeks? Duh, they start to demolish their house! Not the entire house, just important parts of it, like the bathroom. Since the Wife and I like to pretend we are sane, that's exactly what we did.

We tore up the master bathroom, the place we both use on a regular basis, and the one room in the house where I have gotten some quiet solace from the noise for the past 6 years. We had thought about doing this since we moved in, but some leaky pipes made us make the decision sooner rather than later. So, we ripped out the 50-year-old fiberglass shower enclosure, and soon will be doing the same with the toilet and floor tiles. And probably the sink and door, as well. One of these days we'll have all the demolition done, then we'll  have to hurry up and figure out how we want to re-do things. We need to get this bathroom redone quickly, because soon the baby will be here and I will definitely need a place to hide. And I'm thinking about maybe hibernating in there, too. We'll see how loud this baby is...
This seems like a perfect T-Shirt for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment