Thursday, August 20, 2015

Marriage Secrets...

or Happy Wife, Happy Life...

I am not some kind of marriage guru, in fact I'm not really a guru of any kind. But, despite that fact, I like to pretend that I know what I'm talking about, and I'm not afraid to share my (limited) knowledge with anyone who is willing to stand still long enough for me to start yapping at them. Since you are reading this, I assume that you will be willing to stand still long enough to read my yapping. Thank you!

I think that the Wife and I might have inadvertently stumbled into one of the secrets to having a happy marriage. We stumbled into it right from the get-go, more than 10 years ago, without any forethought or real planning of any kind. Want to know what our secret is? We don't give each other gifts, ever! I know, right?!?! Not for birthdays, not for Christmas, not even for Valentine's Day. Oh sure, I have gotten her flowers every once in a while, but not for any special occasion, just for fun. Since we don't buy each other gifts, there's no worrying about what to get, there's no hard feelings over bad or poorly thought out presents, and we don't have to waste time with wrapping paper. It's the best! And don't get me started on cards...If we haven't already stated how we feel about each other in person, a $2 card isn't going to fix things...

So, that's our secret. Maybe you and your spouse should try it for a while. If it works and your marriage becomes super blissful, let me know. Who knows, maybe I'll become a marriage guru after all. I wonder what kind of benefits that job comes with...
 
Just look at how happy we were, not only because we didn't have any kids or dogs yet, but also because we had already chosen to not get each other gifts, for any occasion. We are living in a gift-free zone, and loving every minute of it!

3 comments:

  1. That plan has been working for us as well. ..granted there was a direct correlation between increasing family size and reducing bank account that played a minor role as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That plan has been working for us as well. ..granted there was a direct correlation between increasing family size and reducing bank account that played a minor role as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just somehow managed to keep our bank accounts at the same miniscule level, so that was never a problem for us! :)

    ReplyDelete