Friday, December 18, 2015

Opposite Boy

The Boy has the uncanny ability to do exactly the opposite of what I ask him to do. As you can imagine, I am not a huge fan of this skill. It usually manifests itself either first thing in the morning, or when we are in the minivan. If you are not aware of how life can go when you have an infant in the house, like we do, sometimes nighttime does not bring as much sleep as one would hope, so oftentimes there are one or several people in our house still trying to get some shut-eye when the Boy decides it's time to get up and be loud. This is one of the few times in his life when he forgets how to be quiet, no matter how much "prodding" I do to help him remember. Sometimes my "prodding" can get rather loud itself, but it doesn't come close to the decibels the Boy can make. In the early mornings, he can definitely crank his volume up to 11.
The way he reacts during those mornings when people are sleeping is the exact opposite of how he reacts when he is in the back of the minivan, trying to talk to me while I am in the front of said minivan, doing my best to get us safely to our destination. During those times he cannot seem to muster anything louder than 'whisper". If you've never driven a 15-year-old minivan, it is just a little too loud to be able to hear a whisper coming from the far back seat. So, my part of our conversations are almost entirely made up of me saying "I CAN'T HEAR YOU. YOU NEED TO SPEAK UP, PLEASE." And he continues to say "mrmble mrmble mrfff mrff" as quietly as he can. One of these years, hopefully, he will get his early mornings and his rides in the minivan switched up. If you have any clue on how we can help to expedite that, I will welcome your thoughts. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment