Friday, January 1, 2016

2,016 Resolutions

At first I was thinking about actually coming up with 2,016 resolutions for the New Year. Knowing me, there probably are 2,016 things I should be doing better or at least differently than I currently am. But by the time I actually thought of and wrote down 2,016 resolutions, it would probably be the year 2017, and then I would have to try to come up with one more resolution for that New Year, so instead I will just list my top ten or so resolutions for 2016, and ask that you, my loyal reader, help keep me accountable throughout the year. Or at least until I get tired of being held accountable, at which point I will probably ask you to shut your cakehole, only in much nicer terms...

1. Try not to get so upset with the Boy. For some reason he is the one child of ours who makes me the orneriest. I gotta remind myself that he's only 5, he doesn't always know how to act, and he won't be this squirrelly forever. Oh, and compared to other 5 year old boys, he probably isn't very squirrelly at all. I will try to do better...

2. Be more ardent about picking up the dog poop during the winter. I know that if I do that, the mess won't be nearly as messy in the spring. Still, it's hard to get myself to go out and pick it up. It's cold out there!

3. Try to lose 10 pounds. This is the mandatory "gotta lose weight" resolution that everyone makes. Boring, but it's true, so I better include it.

4. Be more aggressive in selling advertising here on the ol' blog. I always think I am bothering people when I bring it up, but for some reason I have quite a few loyal readers, and I think advertising here can be a low-cost, effective way to reach people. If you or anyone you know might be interested, be sure and let me know! I mean, if you want to...

5. Play more catch with the kiddos. Catch is one of the best ways to while away a warm summer evening, and the kids are getting old enough to do it.

6. Continue teaching the Girl how to cast a fly rod. She was starting to get the hang of it last spring, but then we didn't do much during the summer. One of these days she'll get good enough to put an actual fly with a hook on the end of her line! When that happens, watch out!

7. Get a children's book published. I have been kicking around ideas for a few years, and actually just finished the first draft of a book that might not be too bad. Now I just have to stay with it, tweak it so it's good, and get up enough gumption to send it in to as many publishers as it takes to get it published.

8. Renovate the kitchen. We had plans to work on the kitchen before we tackled any of the other rooms in the house, but then the shower in our master bathroom started leaking into the bathroom in the basement, so we had to work on that first. That job only took forever, and still isn't fully done, but we already had a couple of large holes in the kitchen walls, so we better get back to that soon...

9. Write more articles for magazines. If you hadn't heard, I have had a handful of articles published in national magazines, but haven't even tried for a couple of years. It's time to work on that some more, because what else would people want other than to read even more of my writing...

That's all the resolutions I can come up with at the moment. I'm glad I decided against trying to come up with 2,016 of them - that would have taken forever! Well, like I said, I will need help keeping myself motivated, so feel free to ask, pry, or yell at me about how I'm doing. I'm happy to yell back at you if you need help with your resolutions. Here's to a great 2016!

No comments:

Post a Comment