Friday, June 24, 2016

I (Am Ambivalent About) A Parade!

I've never been a big fan of parades. Even as a kid, I didn't understand the appeal of them. Why would you want to sit out on the hot pavement in the most sweltering time of the year to watch a bunch of people, horses, and dogs you don't know walk by. The whole idea always seemed a bit absurd to me, even as a child.
Mmmm, potstickers...

As I grew into my young adulthood, I still didn't get parades, but my disdain for them started to crack one day during the annual Huff 'N Puff Days parade a few years back. I was working at my part-time job at Bob Mitchell's Fly Shop, and the shop was pretty much empty because the street out front had been blocked off for the parade. With nothing better to do, I went out front to watch for a couple of minutes, and miraculously I timed it just right so that I stepped outside and got handed a skewer of delicious potstickers that the people from the Lake Elmo Inn were handing out to parade watchers. Well, I love potstickers as much as the next guy, and if they're free they're even better! That was the first time I decided that parades might not be so bad after all...

Since we have had children, the Wife and I decided that it might be fun to take them to our local parade every summer, so we have been doing that for several years now, and I have to admit that it's kind of fun. The kids love to see all the different floats, and they love the horses, and they think it's fun to watch the people with the big shovels walking behind the horses. Oh, and I can't forget that they love getting the candy that gets thrown out to the crowds! For me, it's a lot of fun to see how much fun the kids are having. I might even say that I have become a fan of parades, if I got right down to the nitty gritty of it...

So, this all leads up to this past Tuesday night, when we had a chance to actually be in a parade. The kids were excited, the Wife was excited, and yes, even I was a little excited to march in a parade for the first time. We were going to be marching with a group of people from several churches in our area, and handing out candy to the kids along the route. I would have to leave with the two older kids, the Girl and the Boy, before the parade finished, because they had somewhere to be, but I figured we'd still be able to walk several blocks and hand out loads of candy before leaving. We got there in plenty of time, and stationed ourselves on the corner of the street the parade started on. We then proceeded to wait, and wait, for our turn to start. While waiting, we got the chance to learn some of the ins and outs of how a parade works, especially how nobody is ready to start when it's their turn...

Eventually we got to start walking about three minutes before we had to leave, so the Girl, the Boy and I pretty much threw all our candy as fast as we could, and then at the end of the first block we took a left and hoofed it back to our car. I am happy to say that my expert driving ability got us to where we needed to be with about 12 seconds to spare, and I even managed to sneak a bag of Gummi Bears for both the kids from the parade. I'm not going to say what I sneaked for myself... I wish it was more potstickers!

No comments:

Post a Comment