Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Lil' League

I am not a big fan of the contraction Lil'; I prefer the actual word "little", you know, because it's a real word. But I am using Lil' today because our two older kids, the Girl and the Boy, just had their first baseball practice of the summer, and the league they are in is known as the "Lil' Sluggers". Practice went OK, meaning that neither of my kids got seriously hurt. The Boy took a couple of baseballs off his melon, but thankfully they use soft "Incrediballs", so the pain subsided quickly. He handled it like a trooper, but it's obvious we need to work on his catching skills...
Here is the Boy, not paying attention at 2nd base. He seemed to enjoy holding his glove on his head like this, except when the ball was actually headed towards his head. No good...

We also need to figure out exactly which hand the Boy should be throwing with. He is a lefty in almost everything, but in sports it's not so obvious. It seems like he swings things, like a bat or a golf club, better right-handed, but we haven't been able to figure out which hand he is better at throwing with. We have both a left-handed and right-handed glove for him to use. Tonight at practice he threw left-handed. I'm thinking we might try right-handed next time...
These kids were tossing mowed grass at each other instead of paying attention to the coach. Mine are the two in the middle...

All this Lil' League talk takes me back to my glory days in Little League. I don't know if I ever mentioned this before, and knowing me it's hard to imagine that I haven't, but did you know that I was named to the All-Star team in 4th grade? Yup, I threw quite the forkball back in the day, and I was one of the All-Star pitchers that year. In fact, I probably had a better arm back when I was 10 then I do now...I'm not proud of that fact. Another thing I'm not proud of, but that is ingrained in my memory like it happened yesterday, is the fact that on multiple occasions while pitching in Little League, I was able to get opposing batters to hit a foul ball by throwing the pitch behind their head and hitting the bat as they were still holding it on their shoulder. Sure, it's hard to throw strikes, but you should try hitting a bat that hasn't actually been swung. Now that takes talent! OK, maybe I'm a little proud of this feat...

Alright, enough dreaming about days gone by. And enough writing this silly blog post. I've got a job to do, and that's to get the Boy out of bed and throw him some pop flies. There's only 9 days until the first game, and we need every minute of practice we can get. He can sleep after baseball season is done, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment