Thursday, June 16, 2016

The Best! Which Seems to Change Often...

I like all kinds of music. But my favorite music changes from time to time. Sometimes I prefer hard rock. Sometimes I like 1990's dance music. Sometimes I want to go back and revisit the music of my youth from the 1980s. Or even listen to some old-time country or bluegrass music. And, just as often, my favorite song of all time changes. You would think that if a song becomes my favorite song of all time, it should remain in that spot forever. But, my "all time" isn't like most people's "all time", because it changes and morphs to suit my needs. It's kind of fun to have control over time like that...
Oak Ridge Boys

The first song I remember having as my #1 was Elvira, by the Oak Ridge Boys. My mom was a big O.R.B. fan, so we would oftentimes listen to their albums on our huge wall-length stereo that we had in our living room. Shortly after that, when I was about 9, my parents got a couple of enormous headphone/radios for me and my sister to listen to. I remember wearing mine while walking up and down our street for what seemed like hours, hoping that the deejays at WLOL would play Electric Avenue by Eddy Grant. At the time, I didn't think I would ever hear a better song than that. Remember, I was only 9 at the time...

As I moved into my high school days, I eschewed modern pop radio, and instead turned my attention to the great rock and roll of the 1960s and 70s. My favorite band became Jethro Tull, and their classic Aqualung soon rose to the top of my list. After that, I glommed onto the classic Ride Captain Ride, by 1970s one hit wonder Blues Image. Both are still good songs, but hearing them several thousand times over the years has diminished their appeal.

The late 80s saw a song that rocked then, and continues to rock to this day: Alone by Heart. There's something about Ann Wilson's voice, particularly on this song, that sends chills down my spine. This song is always at least in my top 5.

For the past few years I have been really digging Judas Priest. Some people reading this would probably cringe at their name. Like most bands of that genre, I tend to like their older stuff more than their newer stuff. I like a lot of their stuff from the 70s and early 80s, but Heading Out to the Highway is my favorite. I've actually started singing the chorus as a ni-night song to the kids...

Another hard rock song that was #1 for a good long while is Screaming in the Night by Krokus, even though the video might be the worst of all time. Oh, and how could I forget It's A Long Way to the Top by AC/DC. That might not be #1 right now, but it is easily the greatest rock song that includes bagpipes, and I don't think it will ever lose that title.

Devo has been one of my favorite bands for a long time, which is something you don't hear a lot of people say...They have a lot of great songs, which is another thing you don't often hear, but I think my favorite is Watch Us Work It. It rocks!

If I had more time to think, there probably have been a dozen other songs I would have considered to be the best song of all time at some point in my life, oh, like Wildfire by Michael Martin Murphy, or Let Your Love Flow by the Bellamy Brothers, oh, or (Shake Shake Shake) Shake Your Booty by KC & the Sunshine Band, or Don't Know What You Got Till It's Gone by Cinderella, or Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds, or Bears by Zebra, or I Can't Wait by Nu Shooz or Wobble by Family Force 5...I guess there have been a lot of Best Songs Of All Time, but we'll end this list with the happiest song of all time, We Like To Party by Vengaboys. I dare you to listen to this song and not get up and dance. I don't think you can do it...



No comments:

Post a Comment