Friday, September 2, 2016

It Was a Fair Day

We made our annual trek to the Minnesota State Fair the other day. For those of you who do not live in the Fair-obsessed state of Minnesota, you may not understand how integral the Fair is to life around here. The Fair is huge, almost everyone goes, some people go multiple times during its twelve-day run, and if you don't go local people will look at you as though they are quite sure you aren't hooked up right. For several years back in my insane bachelor days, I was one of those people who didn't go. I think it made me feel like a rebel, or even a bad boy, or at least a bit aloof. But now I am married, and there is no more need for me to appear to be a bad boy, so I go, and I even look forward to it most years.
Just some of the throngs of people we had to walk through on our way from one food stand to another at the State Fair.

There are several reasons to go to the Fair, most of which include eating copious amounts of fried food, usually on a stick. I know it happened just the other day, but I am having trouble remembering all the foods I ate, but I will attempt to list them all, in order of appearance: Egg-Sausage-&-Cheese Croissant Sandwich; 2.5 free Cheddar Cheese Sticks (mine + most of the Wife's + most of the Little One's); Deep Fried Crab Fritters (these are always stupendously delicious!); Deep Fried Monte Cristo Sandwich on a Stick (the Wife and I shared this); the World's Greatest French Fries (they gave themselves that title. I think they are very good, but not so sure they are the world's greatest...); Deep Fried Popcorn Shrimp; Gyro on a Stick. I think that's it...Like I said, I may have forgotten something. If I remember it before I am done writing I will be sure to let you know.

Another reason to go to the Fair is to people watch. I can't believe how many weirdos there are out there in the world, and during the rest of the year I tend to forget. They all go to the Fair, though, so I get my annual reminder. I also can't believe how many large children get pushed around the Fair in gigantic strollers. We pushed the Baby in an umbrella stroller, but she can't walk yet. All of our other kids walked the entire day like they are supposed to, and they have for a long time, but I constantly see kids that look like they are 4-, 5- and even 6-years-old being pushed around in strollers or pulled in wagons the size of minivans. Why would a parent want to do that? Kids who are bigger than a baby are heavy! I don't get it...

A third reason to go to the Fair is to see animals, specifically farm-type animals. If you want to see as many cows, pigs, horses, sheep and chickens as you can stomach, the Minnesota State Fair is the place for you. Our kids can stomach a lot of all of those animals, so we go through all of the farm buildings. I won't go into it now, but it seems like the Swine Building is our favorite. If you like swine, and who doesn't?, make sure you read my next blog post... How do you like that awesome teaser, huh?












No comments:

Post a Comment