Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Scott's Exploding Head

I felt like my head was going to explode for about an hour last night. Thankfully it didn't, but it was close. I think everyone around me was fully expecting it to happen. Some of them seemed a little sad when it didn't...
Me, about 2 minutes after we started playing.

Let me explain: I played basketball. Full court basketball. Full court basketball for the first time in about 12 years. We started playing at about 8:30, and by 8:32 my head had turned beet red from running around and gasping for air, and I felt like it was going to explode. For some reason, that's what happens to me nowadays whenever I do anything even remotely athletic, which isn't very often. I wasn't sure I would make it through the first game. Thankfully, there was a medical doctor on the opposing team, so I think that if my head had exploded, he would have been able to save me.

Amazingly, I made it through that first game, and then through the second game, and then the third, and even a fourth. When somebody asked if we were up for a fifth game, though, my brain finally kicked in and I was able to blurt out an emphatic "NO!!!!". I thought maybe the rest of the guys would keep playing without me, but some of them seemed relieved when I said no, and the games ended. I was in kind of a daze afterward, and to be honest, I don't remember the drive home, but I made it, and today only about 84% of my body is in total agony, which is much lower than I was expecting, so that's good.

For having a head that felt like it might explode at any moment, I can somehow say that I didn't play all that badly. I got a few rebounds, I made some nice passes, I stole the ball a couple of times, and there was even a short time that I had the hot hand on offense, making five 3-pointers in a row. That moment of glory was short-lived, though, but at least it helped me forget about my head for a while. I wonder if my head will have turned back to its normal color by the time we play again next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment