Friday, October 14, 2016

That Time of Year

Well, it's that time of year again. The weather is getting colder, the stores are full of Halloween costumes, I am forced to stop wearing shorts and put on some full-length pants much to my chagrin, and the mice are starting to move indoors again.

We have had a mice problem in our house ever since we moved in. Actually, we think it started well before we moved in, but don't tell the previous owners, my in-laws, that. I can't actually remember what kind of evidence first prompted me to think we had mice in our basement, but when we tore down all the walls down there during our renovation about 3 years ago and found 17 dead mice behind the old sheetrock, that pretty much cemented the idea in my brain.

Since then I have killed another 43 mice with my own two hands. Or, to be more precise, with the mouse traps I bought with my own two hands. If you aren't very good with math, I will take out my trusty calculator and tell you that 17 + 43 equals a total of 60 mice we have had in our house in the last 3-and-a-half years. To paraphrase my favorite philosopher Larry the Cable Guy, I don't care who you are, that's a lot of mice.
Just one of sixty.

If you were to inspect every inch of the outside of our house with a magnifying glass or a fine-tooth, mouse-sized comb, like we sort of have, you may think that there is only one place that they could be getting in: a small hole next to the back step that leads from the garage into the backyard. Knowing that, I recently filled the hole with enough steel wool to choke a rabid wolverine, which I am hoping is enough steel wool to keep the mice from getting in.

Proud of my accomplishment, I told the Wife that we probably won't be seeing any more mice any time soon. She didn't seem too certain of that, citing the fact that the pesky critters could already be in the house and we just haven't caught them yet. I know she could be right, and deep down I kind of hope she is. Killing mice is fun! I love this time of year!

5 comments:

  1. They've just started rearing their heads in my house, I'll have to get the traps out again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you were lazy like me, you'd just leave them out all year. Good luck in your hunting!

      Delete
  2. Word on the street is, this year has and will be a high volume mouse year. Our traps are loaded and ready for customers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only gotten one more since I wrote this post, so perhaps my steel wool idea was more cunning than anyone realized. Woot

      Delete
  3. nice this blog.
    You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. I’m looking to reading your next post.

    โกเด้นสล็อต

    ReplyDelete