Monday, November 14, 2016

Parenting Wins

If you think about it, parenting can be hard, but let's not focus on that. I prefer to focus on the things that go right in our parenting, otherwise known as parenting wins. Sometimes they can be few and far between, but recently I've had a few, and as always, I am happy to share them with you, whether you want to hear them or not...

All day long yesterday, all of our kids who can speak English, otherwise known as the Girl, the Boy, and the Little One, were walking around singing a song that I have occasionally sung to them at ni-night time. This is not your typical lullaby, or even a typical song that a parent would ever sing to their kids, or even a song that many people would probably know the words to. But I do, and since there is always a song playing in my internal jukebox, sometimes I just have to let them out for my kids to hear. That's what I did with this song a couple of weeks ago, and after singing it for them just a couple more times, they all seemed to get it stuck in their heads. The fact that my kids would sing one of my songs makes me super happy and proud, and the fact that my kids are probably the only 4, 6, and 7-year-olds at their schools who know this song makes me even happier. Take a listen to Cars by Gary Numan, my kids' favorite new song.

Saturday morning the Boy was being his normal Boy self, acting silly, sometimes raucous, teasing his sisters, squeezing the dogs, and generally being a blur of chaotic activity. This is all normal, but what wasn't normal was how he was saying "Hello!" in a high-pitched, whiny voice every time he entered a room. It was as
though his inner being had been taken over by TV's Squiggy from the Laverne & Shirley show. If you aren't as culturally advanced as we are, you may not know that Squiggy might be the best character in the History of  Television Sit-Coms, other than his sidekick Lenny, and he had a peculiar way of entering a room. If you need a refresher, watch this:

I have to believe that the Boy did not sit down one night and watch a Laverne & Shirley marathon on MeTV, so the only way he could have learned about Squiggy is from his Old Man. It makes me so happy to know that my kids actually listen to me once in a while. Win! Woot woot.

Those are my two recent parenting wins. Oh, other than the fact that all of our kids are brilliant, kind, obedient, and beautiful/handsome, but I would say those are more of their Mom's parenting wins than they are mine, although I am happy to take the credit...


1 comment: