Friday, December 16, 2016

A Car-tastic Weekend or Lucky Number 13

The past few days have been super-de-duper, at least as far as our vehicles go. Or, in some cases, don't go...

It all started at about 5:30 on a Friday evening. I was making my way from work up to my parents' place, which is about a half hour north of work. We head up there most Fridays for a family dinner, which was delicious, by the way. The brussel sprouts were exceedingly yummy, along with everything else. But, especially the brussel sprouts...

But I digress. As I was making my way up towards my parents' house on some back roads, a car's headlights appeared out of nowhere in my rearview mirror. I had not noticed anyone behind me just prior to that, so the appearance of these headlights seemed rather odd. They got closer and closer to the back of my car, which also seemed odd. It seemed like the person driving the car wanted me to speed up, but I knew better. I suspected it might have been a police officer, who would probably pull me over as soon as I sped up. I wasn't about to give him or her the satisfaction, though. I stayed right at the speed limit. And he pulled me over any way! Turned out I had a headlight that was out (I wrote "Turned out" to make it seem like I didn't already know about the dead headlight. Pretty tricky, huh?)

So, the nice police officer pulled me over for my headlight that was out. As I sat anxiously in my car while he was back at his car, checking out my info, I wasn't sure what to expect. You see, I have been tempting fate with police officers for a long time. In fact, the last 12 times that I had had the chance to meet a police officer face-to-face, they had only given me warnings, no tickets. I was on a great streak, but even I knew my streak could end at any moment. But not this time! Yup, for the 13th straight time, I only received a warning. I don't know what to attribute it to, but the police seem to like me. Let's hope this streak lasts for another 13 visits!

Later that same evening, before I had a chance to go to the store to get a replacement bulb for my headlight, the Wife took the same car to our local large retail grocery store, which happens to rhyme with "Dub", and on the way home one of our friendly local police officers pulled her over for the very same headlight. I am happy to say that she was only given a warning, as well. I am especially happy to say that because if she had gotten a ticket right after I had only gotten a warning, I may not be here today to write this blog post...

Throughout that whole evening of getting pulled over multiple times, I knew the car was getting low on gas. But I didn't really want to drive it anywhere that night to get gas, for fear of getting pulled over again. I didn't have a reason to drive it again until the following Monday morning, which was a rather cold day. On cold mornings I have the habit of going out to warm up whichever cars are going to be driven, which on that day included both the car and the van. After several minutes of warming up, I got in the car and headed to work. I got about a quarter of a mile from our house, and was still about a quarter of a mile from our nearest gas station, when the car abruptly ran out of gas. It was the second time this has happened to me in my life, but the first time was in the dead of summer about 25 years ago. This time, as I ran home to get my gas can, it was much colder, and not nearly as fun. If you ever run out of gas, I would suggest you try to do it in the summer. Thankfully, the Wife came and picked me up in the van, taking me to the gas station to fill the gas can. All was swell, and I even got the headlight replaced later that day. So, hopefully, my 14th visit with a police officer won't be for a long time.

4 comments:

  1. Nobody has ever told me they wanted to be like me before. I have to think about this for a while. I will get back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete